One Room Challenge – Navy Dining Room Reveal

It’s reveal day for the guest participants of the Spring One Room Challenge!

I am happy to say that I survived the 6 weeks and finished my navy dining room!  There is nothing like a deadline to get me moving.

Navy Dining Room Reveal

In case you are not familiar with the One Room Challenge, it is a biannual event created by Linda Weinstein of Calling it Home, where bloggers challenge themselves to transform a space over a 6 week period.  On Wednesdays, twenty designers share their progress and on Thursdays, the guest participants (anyone with a blog) can share.

Like I said, this time around I chose to update my dining room.  It had been red for about 15 years and I was ready for a change.  Let’s take a look back at the before…

Red Dining Room Before

Apparently, I only photographed the room at Christmas time…

Red Dining Room Before

Since my husband would never agree to changing the furniture, I had to work around what I had.  Luckily, just painting the wall color navy gave the cherry furniture a whole new look!  (The color is Sherwin Williams Naval).

Dining Room Painted Sherwin Williams Naval

I also switched the fabrics on the chairs to this navy and white stripe.

Dining Chair Seatcover update

After obsessing about fabric choices for weeks, I realized I was running out of time to order.  As a last resort, I ended up buying Ralph Lauren sheets at Homegoods and using them for the seats!  I know, how blogger of me…They are a cotton polyester blend and hopefully they will hold up for awhile.

I changed the oriental rug to this seagrass one.  It’s definitely not as soft as the previous rug but it gives the room the coastal/traditional look I was going for in here.  The seagrass is also a great contrast to the navy.

Navy Dining Room British Colonial Style

I hung neutral curtain panels which work well with the seagrass. I thought I wanted plain white ones in here but when I hung the white, I wasn’t happy.  Luckily, I had these sitting in the closet for a few years just waiting to be used.  They are from Homegoods.

Blue and White China and Gold Bar Cart

In the back corner, I rehung my shelves and added some Lenox and Blue Willow china.  As you can see, I also bought a new bar cart.  You might notice it does not show up in all the pictures because I had my son put it together just last night!  Nothing like waiting until the last minute.  Better late than never…

Pottery Barn Round Gold Bar Cart

The bar cart could possibly be my favorite thing in the room!  I have been wanting one of these forever and when it went on sale at Pottery Barn, I ordered it using a gift card from my American Express points.  That counts as being free, right?

And speaking of Pottery Barn, I also snatched up these green napkins just yesterday.  They were on clearance and I thought it would be fun to add a little green to the room.

Green and Blue Table Setting

Originally, I was going to leave the table unset but decided it needed to be dressed up for the big reveal!

Navy and Green Coastal Table Setting

The navy and white striped place mats are also from Pottery Barn (from a previous trip).  They help keep the table looking a little more casual and cabana-like.

Console Table with Lamps in Navy Dining Room

On the other side of the room is my new console table from Pier One.  I finally settled on this one after visiting every furniture and consignment store in the entire state of New Jersey.  I just couldn’t justify spending a lot of money for this piece but I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted.  I figured I could make this one work.  The top is glass and I had this vision of myself attaching caning under the glass…and then I had this vision of myself crying because I messed it up.  I decided to leave the glass for now.

Blue and White Porcelain

Wouldn’t caning look great under my blue and white porcelain, though?

Caribbean Map and Cherry Console Table

The Caribbean map used to hang over our piano in the living room but I like the way it looks in here more.  The lamps are from Homegoods.  With the dark walls, I really needed some extra light in here besides the chandelier.  I like how the white really brightens up the space too.

Navy Dining Room with Seagrass Rug

As you can tell, it’s not very easy to photograph a navy room.  It also doesn’t help that it was cloudy when I took some of these photos.

Navy Dining Room Coastal Style

Light artwork and bright plants definitely help brighten things up, though.

Caostal Art in Navy Dining Room

Tropical Traditional Navy Dining Room

For someone who tends to work on rooms slowly and let them evolve, the One Room Challenge is a great way to push myself out of my comfort zone (aka procrastination zone).  There is just something so satisfying about having a room finished!!

Gold Bar Cart in Navy Dining Room

Cheers to everyone who completed the One Room Challenge!

Thank you to Linda Weinstein, of Calling It Home, the creator of the One Room Challenge.  Thanks also to media partners, House Beautiful and Home Love Network!

Be sure to visit the other guest participants in the Spring 2018 – One Room Challenge – Week 6.  You will be blown away by the talent out there!

In case you would like to get caught up with my project, here are the links to each week:

Week 1 / Week 2 / Week 3 / Week 4 / Week 5

This is the second time I joined the One Room Challenge.  If you would like to see my home office that I decorated a few years ago, click here –Home Office Reveal.

I have provided sources below for your convenience.  Please note that this post contains some affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking my links (at no additional cost to you!)

Sources:

Paint Color – Naval by Sherwin Williams (color-matched by Benjamin Moore)

Cherry China Cabinet, Table and Chairs – Thomasville Furniture (from 19 years ago)

Seagrass Rug – Home Decorators Collection at Home Depot

Curtain Panels – Homegoods

Bar Cart – Pottery Barn (Tristan Bar Cart)
Placemats – Pottery Barn
Green and White Napkins – Pottery Barn
Console Table – Pier One

Chair Fabric – Ralph Lauren Sheets from Homegoods

White Lamps – Homegoods

Blue and White Porcelain – Collected over the years but here are a few options – blue and white porcelain and this  smaller version.

Rattan Chargers – I bought mine at Pier One but these rattan chargers are very similar.

Blue and White Plates – These are the same Johnson Brothers Blue Willow Plates I have.

What are you decorating these days?

I would love for you follow along so you don’t miss a post!

1. Simply LKJ
    May 10, 2018 / 7:20 pm

OMG…Shelley! I love love love it. Everything came together beautifully. I love the traditional mixed with the coastal casual. A great mix. And blue, white with a bit of green has always been a favorite color combo of mine. Well done friend.

May 10, 2018 / 10:41 pm

Thank you so much, Lauren! I was hoping to pull off the traditional/coastal mix so I am glad you like it!

2. Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things
    May 10, 2018 / 7:57 pm

It turned out wonderful! I love the navy walls.

May 10, 2018 / 10:41 pm

Thanks, Penny! I had been wanting to do navy for awhile!

3. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life
    May 10, 2018 / 8:11 pm

Oh I love the navy, such a fresh change and your furniture and accessories are fabulous.

May 10, 2018 / 10:42 pm

Thanks, Marty! You are so sweet! I am definitely enjoying the change.

4. Lisa @ Shine Your Light
    May 11, 2018 / 12:21 am

Shelley this room came out so beautifully! You know I am a huge fan of seagrass, especially with traditional furniture, I just love that contrast and it looks so British Colonial to me like something out of the Williams Sonoma Home catalog! I love what you did with your table too – the striped placements, woven chargers and green and white napkins are so pretty with your china – you're so good at tablescapes! Hope you and your family enjoy this refreshed space and have many good times ahead in this room!

May 11, 2018 / 1:02 am

Wow – Williams Sonoma Home…thank you so much, Lisa! I am thrilled that you think my room looks like that! It feels so good to be finished and I am sure you feel the same about your beautiful room!

5. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style
    May 11, 2018 / 12:28 am

Shelley, I love the navy blue. It reminds me of my old dining room color, but my ceiling was also navy. Great transformation!

May 11, 2018 / 1:02 am

Thank you, Kim! I will have to take another look at your old pictures now that mine is done. Thanks again!

6. Tanya
    May 11, 2018 / 1:21 am

I love this! The new wall color made such a difference with the look of the dining table. The bar cart is so fun, and I love all the coastal decor!

May 11, 2018 / 2:15 am

Thanks, Tanya! Yes, paint can really transform a room. I know I didn't "need" a bar cart but it's just so much fun to decorate! Thanks again!

7. Sheila @ Maison de Cinq
    May 11, 2018 / 5:41 am

Shelley, the room looks amazing! I think you did a gorgeous job! I love the paint color and the seagrass is the PERFECT touch! It does look slightly British Colonial, which I adore. And I think the console table looks so good! I'm sure you're happy with it, and I have to say, you should be! Congrats to you on another ORC successfully completed! :)Happy weekend!Sheilaxo

May 12, 2018 / 12:20 pm

Thanks so much, Sheila! You are always so supportive with your positive comments. Yes, I am glad you think it looks slightly British Colonial. I love that look but I didn't want to go overboard with it. I am so happy to have a room finished…as I am sure you are too! Cheers, my friend!

8. Carole @ From My Carolina Home
    May 11, 2018 / 11:55 am

You did a beautiful job, your whole room is lovely. You are right, just changing the color on the walls can give the furniture a different look. I like the touches of light on the dark walls.

May 12, 2018 / 12:22 pm

Thanks, Carole! Paint really does make a difference!

9. Pam Richardson
    May 11, 2018 / 7:49 pm

Shelley, I really love your dining room! The navy walls are stunning and allow your furniture to shine! The bar cart and rug are both the perfect touches! Great job and congrats !

May 12, 2018 / 12:22 pm

Thank you, Pam! I needed the 6 week deadline to make those decisions! Glad you like it!

10. The Home I Create
    May 11, 2018 / 11:18 pm

Shelley, I love love the navy paint! The seagrass is a great juxtaposition to your lovely traditional furniture. Blue and white pieces are a favorite of mine and look great in your space. Awesome job!

May 12, 2018 / 12:26 pm

Thank you so much! I had been wanting to switch to navy for awhile and I am so glad I did! Thanks again for your kind words!

11. Cristina Garay
    May 12, 2018 / 1:56 pm

Shelley, I love your new dining room! The navy blue gives it a totally different vibe. The seagrass and all the accessories are perfection. I need that bar cart!

May 12, 2018 / 2:28 pm

Thanks Cristina! I am really happy how the navy turned out. I had a hard time deciding on bar carts since there are so many cute ones available these days! Thanks again!

12. An Oasis in the Desert
    May 14, 2018 / 2:22 pm

I think it looks amazing, Shelley! The navy really does make your furniture look richer in color….very beautiful!Have a great week!Carol

May 16, 2018 / 4:10 pm

Thanks so much, Carol! I was pleasantly surprised at how much better the furniture looked when the room was done.

13. Laura @ duke manor farm
    May 16, 2018 / 3:05 pm

shelly- your navy dining room….perfection. looks so good. great job

May 16, 2018 / 4:13 pm

Thank you, Laura…what a nice compliment! I really needed that deadline to get myself motivated!

14. Laurel Stephens
    May 17, 2018 / 12:05 am

Congratulations on your completed room; it's gorgeous! I think I'd recognize this room as yours even if I didn't know. It has your special flair!

May 17, 2018 / 12:21 am

Oh you are so sweet, Laurel! I love that you think I have a "special flair"! Thank you, my friend!

15. Tracey Amadio
    May 17, 2018 / 9:09 am

Shelley, the room is just lovely! You did such a great job pulling the colors through in all of the details. Congratulations on the completion of the ORC! Love that bar cart and sisal rug 🙂

May 19, 2018 / 2:08 pm

Thank you, Tracey! The biggest change was definitely the color so I am flattered that you think I made it work. Gotta love those bar carts! Hope you are enjoying yours as well!

16. Stacey
    May 21, 2018 / 11:53 am

Shelley, this weekend I remembered your navy dining room project so I had to pop in here this morning and peek. It turned out so pretty! The walls are gorgeous. The console table is perfect. Love the curtains and all the little details. The room looks amazing and timeless.

May 21, 2018 / 12:12 pm

Thank you, Stacey! What a sweet comment – you made my day!

17. Amber Lyon Ferguson
    May 29, 2018 / 3:26 am

Oh my goodness what a transformation! Your furniture even looks different with the paint color. Fabulous job!AmberFollow The Yellow Brick Home

May 29, 2018 / 11:51 am

Thanks so much Amber! Yes, my husband was thrilled that I was suddenly happy with my furniture again!