How to Decorate a Patriotic Tablescape with Old Baseballs

Happy Memorial Day!  Sure, we might be celebrating a little differently this year but that’s no reason not to decorate!  Of course, these days we have to get creative and use what we have.  Recently while cleaning out the garage, I came across a bucket of old baseballs.  Since my kids haven’t used them in awhile, I decided to use those old baseballs to decorate a patriotic tablescape!   Take a look at what I created…

*Please note that this post contains affiliate links.  If you make a purchase after clicking my links below, I will receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you).

Patriotic Tablescape with Old Baseballs:

Patriotic Table with a baseball theme

Baseball – America’s Favorite Pastime:

Since we all recognize baseball as “America’s favorite pastime”, I decided to use that as my theme for the tablescape.  Though instead of going overboard with too many baseball items, I tried to keep a balance between patriotic and a sophisticated baseball theme table.  That way the tablescape could work for kids or adults.

For my centerpiece, I simply filled a glass hurricane with a bunch of the old baseballs and stuck some flags on top.

Patriotic Centerpiece with American Flags and Old Baseballs

Red, White and Blue:

Obviously, red, white and blue colors are essential for a patriotic tablescape.  I anchored my baseball centerpiece with some layered navy blue napkins and lined up some white stars against the blue.  I made the stars with a flour dough mixture, baked them and then painted them white.  Originally, I had planned to paint flags on the stars but I ended up liking the way the white stood out against the blue napkins.  After all, our American flag has white stars on a navy blue background.

I continued the red, white and blue on each place setting…

Classic Baseball Themed Patriotic Place Setting

To coordinate with the baseballs, I used my red and white striped place mats and then layered navy and white plates and napkins.  In my opinion, the mix of patterns and textures gives the table a classic Americana type of vibe.

Red white and blue baseball themed tablesetting

Repeat the baseball theme on each setting:

In keeping with my simple-sophisticated baseball theme, I placed one baseball on each place setting.  At first, I couldn’t figure out a way to keep the baseball on each plate stack without having it roll around.  Then I decided to use some wired burlap ribbon.  First, I cut the ends to give a baseball pennant look to the ribbon and then folded the middle part under.  This left a nice resting place for each baseball so it wouldn’t roll around.

Plus, the burlap ribbon made the ball stand out as a focal point on each place setting.  The ribbon also coordinated well with the seagrass chargers and my wooden candlesticks.  Since this is a baseball themed table, those wooden candlesticks could represent the baseball bats, don’t you think?!!

Red, white and blue patriotic table setting

Keep it Casual:

As you can see, I didn’t bother with a tablecloth.  Since a baseball themed table generally has more of a masculine vibe, I didn’t want anything too fussy.  That way I could go with this look for a birthday, Father’s Day, 4th of July…Basically, any summer holiday where we want to keep it casual but festive…

Patriotic Tablescape with Old Baseballs - how to decorate a sophisticated baseball themed table...great for birthdays or Father's Day! #patriotictable #baseballthemedtable

In our kitchen, our table is just steps from the patio so this casual look works just fine for us!

Red white and blue tablescape with blue and white curtains - ideas for patriotic decorating

Hopefully, my patriotic tablescape with old baseballs inspired you to decorate with some things you already own.  After all, you never know what you will find when you clean out your garage!

White kitchen with blue and white curtains with patriotic decor

Wishing you a Happy Memorial Day!  Let’s honor those who have sacrificed their lives for our country.  Be well.

Sources for a Patriotic Tablescape with Baseballs:

*If you are looking for more patriotic inspiration, here are some more ideas:

Have you decorated any patriotic tablescapes recently?signature

PinterestInstagram / Facebook / Twitter

Pin this

How to Decorate a Patriotic Tablescape with Old Baseballs - Classic red, white and blue decor celebrating America's pastime. #baseballthemed #patriotictable

Sharing on these blogs:

A Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me Tuesday Common Ground – All About Home, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia – Inspire Me Monday  My Wee Abode – Tuesday Turnabout My Life Abundant – Wonderful Wednesday, Imparting Grace – Grace at Home,  An Artful Mom – Thursday Favorite Things, Between Naps on the Porch – Tablescape Thursday, Two Chicks and a Mom – Funtastic Friday, Pieced Pastimes – Saturday Sparks, Finding Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies SundayEclectic Red Barn – Happiness is Homemade, Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make, Life and Linda – Love Your CreativityMarilyn’s Treats – Over the Moon, The Dedicated House – Make It Pretty Monday, Karin’s Kottage – Centerpiece Wednesday, Chas Crazy Creations – To Grandmas House We Go, The Painted Hinge – Farmhouse Friday

How to Decorate a Patriotic Table with Old Baseballs

1. Rita C.
    May 25, 2020 / 2:16 pm

That’s super cute Shelley. Here’s hoping we see some semblance of all our favorite pastimes soon.

May 25, 2020 / 3:11 pm

Thanks Rita! Yes, let’s hope things get back to normal real soon! Stay well!

2. May 25, 2020 / 3:35 pm

I love this. The baseball idea is perfect and I love how you even displayed baseballs on each plate.

May 25, 2020 / 3:57 pm

Thanks Marty! I guess it helps to dig through junk in the garage! I hope you are enjoying your Memorial Day! Stay well!

3. May 26, 2020 / 2:50 pm

What a cute idea! Love the baseballs!

May 26, 2020 / 7:21 pm

Thanks Nancy! Enjoy your week!

4. eyeloveknots
    May 28, 2020 / 3:15 pm

This is awesome! I never would have thought to decorate with baseballs, but it is so fitting!

Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

May 28, 2020 / 5:39 pm

Thanks Alexandra! It was a fun project…and it helped me put some old baseballs to use!

5. May 28, 2020 / 6:09 pm

What a clever, fun idea for a table! My guys would love it too. I’m going to see how I can recreate it. PInned!

May 28, 2020 / 7:37 pm

Thanks Debbee! I need to dig around in my garage more often! Enjoy the rest of your week!

6. May 29, 2020 / 7:14 pm

Your table setting is really great, love the theme.

May 30, 2020 / 8:32 am

Thank you Anita! With a houseful of men, the baseball theme really works for us! Stay well!

7. pamela
    May 31, 2020 / 9:49 am

This tablescape is so cute Shelley! The vintage baseballs adds a true Americana feel!

May 31, 2020 / 10:15 am

Thanks Pamela! I was definitely trying for that Americana vibe!

8. June 1, 2020 / 8:59 am

Oh Shelley I LOVE this tablescape. It joyfully says summer to me!

June 2, 2020 / 9:10 am

Thanks so much, Laura! It was fun playing around with a new idea!

9. June 2, 2020 / 1:06 am

Shelley, I’m always impressed with your lovely understated tablescapes. Your themes are always appropriate, and you create your settings it in such a classy way! Pinned, and I’m happy to be featuring you at Tuesday Turn About this week!

June 2, 2020 / 8:58 pm

Thank you, Julie! What a sweet thing to say! Also, thanks for the feature and for pinning! Enjoy your week!

10. June 3, 2020 / 9:17 am

Super cute tablescape, Shelley. I just got done pinning it from our tailwind tribe, and would love to include it in a post for this friday on bloggers tablescapes – with the link back to your post.
    It’s short notice, but if you are fine with that let me know.

thx
    RR

June 3, 2020 / 1:03 pm

Of course! Thank you so much!!!

11. June 6, 2020 / 8:43 am

Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too! Please stay safe and healthy. Come party with us at Over The Moon! Catapult your content Over The Moon! @marilyn_lesniak @EclecticRedBarn
    ********************************************************

June 6, 2020 / 10:40 am

Thanks so much, Marilyn! Stay well!

12. June 6, 2020 / 2:40 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick at #OverTheMoon this week. Each Hostess displays their own features so be sure to visit me on Sunday evening and to see your feature! I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon. Please don’t forget to add your link numbers or post title so we can be sure to visit!

June 6, 2020 / 3:33 pm

Thanks so much, Marilyn! I will be sure to swing by tomorrow to link up my latest. I appreciate the feature…thanks again!

13. June 8, 2020 / 11:11 pm

Love this! It’s perfect for the good ol’ summer time! Pinned 🙂

June 9, 2020 / 1:29 pm

Thanks Cindy! If only people could actually play baseball these days! Stay well, friend!

14. June 9, 2020 / 9:18 am

This is really fabulous Shelley! I LOVE it! The old baseballs with flags and red white and blue couldn’t be more perfect for summer and our summer holidays! Love the place setting style, ❤️
    Jenna

June 9, 2020 / 1:31 pm

Thanks so much, Jemma! I’ll have to see what else my kids have laying around in the garage! Nothing like being able to shop your home…especially these days. Take care!

15. June 10, 2020 / 10:38 am

I just love this tablescape Shelley!! The baseball idea is fantastic and you’ve come up with terrific ideas for it like the burlap ribbon underneath them, the “baseball bat” candleholders and the vase filled with them as a centerpiece. The striped placemats and blue gingham plates are perfect together. This is definitely inspirational!

June 10, 2020 / 12:26 pm

Thanks so much, Lori! I had a fun time creating it. Being home all these months has forced me to dig through what I own. I’m glad you like it!

16. June 10, 2020 / 5:30 pm

Have mercy, this is the cutest thing. My Prince C. is a baseball player and big fan of the Cincinnati Reds. I combine 4th of July decor with baseball themed things, too. Love this tablescape so much. Now to sneak a few more of Paul’s old beat up ball away from him!!

June 10, 2020 / 6:00 pm

Thank you! What a sweet comment and I’m happy to hear you like my idea of combining patriotic decor with a baseball theme! Thanks for stopping by!

17. Chloe Crabtree
    June 17, 2020 / 9:19 am

I love this! I am sharing this in my Tablescapes and Tablestyling FB Group and pinning!

June 17, 2020 / 9:30 am

Thank you so much, Chloe! You’re the best!