How to Transition from Christmas to Winter Decor

Does your home feel bare after you’ve packed away the holiday decor?

If you’re like most people, you find it challenging to transition from Christmas to winter decor.  After all, January is a little early to pull out all the spring items.  Although I’ll admit, I can’t wait for those longer days and warmer spring weather.   Whether we like it or not, winter is sticking around for awhile, so why not embrace the season!

Today, I’m joining 23 creative bloggers for a “Cozy Winter Home Tour” .  For my stop on the tour, I hope to inspire you with some January decorating ideas.

Pine cones in apothecary jar - ideas to transition from Christmas to winter decor

Before we get started, I want to thank Amber from Follow the Yellow Brick Home for hosting this first blog tour of the new year!  If you don’t already follow Amber, be sure to visit her blog (1st stop on the blog hop) to see how she decorates her lovely home using vintage treasures and seasonal decor.

*If you are just arriving from County Road 407, …Welcome!  Didn’t you just love how Cindy decorated her lantern for winter?  Her blog is always so inspiring!

At the end of this post, you will find a list of all the participants in the blog hop.  Visit as many as you can for cozy winter home ideas!  Let’s get started…

Cozy Winter Home Tours - ideas for January decorating

*Please also note that this post contains affiliate links.  If you make a purchase after clicking my links below, I will receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you).

Simple Ways to Transition from Christmas to Winter Decor:

Pine cones and greenery on foyer table

Pine Cones and Greenery:

One way to decorate for winter without looking too Christmas-y is to display some pine cones with a bit of greenery.  By now, you’ve probably put away most of your colorful Christmas decor but just remember that greenery can work any time of year.  While I was packing away the faux greens from my kitchen chandelier, I decided to leave out some pieces to use on my foyer table.

January decorating in the foyer

The greenery gives a little life to the neutral colors I used in here.

greenery with black and white accessories for January decor

My mom bought me this pretty table runner for Christmas and I think it makes a pretty base for the winter accessories.

Decorating with Black and White For Winter:

stone fireplace with black and white photos

Since I was using black and white in the foyer, it made sense to continue those colors in the family room.  You can’t go wrong with black and white photos in simple black frames.  As you can see, I added a couple pine cones to my mantel too.  Instead of packing away my white ceramic houses after Christmas, I kept them out and scattered a few around with my winter decor.  Since the houses are so subtle, I think it’s fine to use them for Christmas decorating and also for the winter months.

Candles Make Any Space Cozy:

game table and bar stools

Whether you use real candles or battery operated ones, think about adding some to areas where people gather.  In the winter, we hang out in our game room a lot more so it’s nice to add some cozy winter touches.

chess set on game table

And a chess board doesn’t hurt either…Anything to keep those kids off their screens!

Neutrals and Textures:

seagrass chairs with black and white buffalo check pillows

In our living room, I removed the dark red pillows and replaced them with black and white buffalo checked pillows and a very plush winter white throw blanket.  Ever since we inherited the baby grand piano, I’ve felt the room needed a little more black anyway.

seagrass chairs with black and white pillows

With views of the front yard, this ends up being a cozy place to sit.  Just weeks ago, the Christmas tree was in this spot.

boxwood and white ceramic house

Once again, I left out one of my little ceramic houses.

Continue the Winter Colors in the Kitchen:

White mantel over kitchen stove

Instead of trying to come up with new ideas for every room, I just continued with the same type of items in the kitchen…pine cones, greenery, black and white… Since it was getting dark, I used the same photo from last year’s winter decorating post but the stove looks exactly the same this year.

As you can see, I ended up turning on the light for the rest of the photos.  Basically, I just added more black and white in here…

tea vignette

Luckily, I own a set of china that ties right in with my winter color scheme!  Tea anyone?

cozy candle vignette in kitchen - winter decorating ideas

Thanks for stopping by to see how I decorate my home after Christmas!

Hopefully, I inspired you with simple ideas to transition from Christmas to winter decor in your home!

January Decorating Sources:

I have provided sources below for your convenience.  Please note that this post contains some affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking my links (at no additional cost to you).

**Next, be sure to visit  Celebrate and Decorate.  You’re going to love Chloe’s cozy winter tablescape!

Also, please remember to visit each of participants on the tour for tons of winter decorating inspiration!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Follow The Yellow Brick HomeA Stroll Thru LifeCommon GroundOur Southern HomeCounty Road 407Calypso in the CountryCelebrate and DecorateVirginia Sweet PeaMy Thrift Store AddictionThe Crowned GoatFirst Day of HomeWhite Arrows HomeBluesky at HomeThistle Key LaneThe Tattered PewBelle Bleu InteriorsLe CultivateurCloches and LavenderLora BloomquistDebbee’s BuzzDecorate and More with TipHave a Daily Cup of Mrs. OlsonWelch House 1900Let’s Add Sprinkles

How do you transition from Christmas to winter decor?

signature

Follow along so you don’t miss a post!

PinterestInstagram / Facebook / Twitter

Transition from Christmas to Winter Decor

1. January 14, 2020 / 8:53 am

Pine cones, greenery, and black and white are perfect for winter decorating. Now you just need some snow to enjoy.

January 14, 2020 / 9:08 am

Yes, some snow would be nice! My kids keep checking the forecast everyday. After the 65 degree temps this past weekend, I’m wondering when winter will actually get here! Thanks for stopping by, Paula!

2. January 14, 2020 / 9:25 am

Oh my. That little mouse is a cutie. Great tips for that Christmas to winter transition. Your black and white is beautiful.

January 14, 2020 / 9:29 am

Thanks Katie! I found that little iron mouse in a boutique a couple years ago. Thanks for your sweet comment and it’s so nice to hop with you!

3. January 14, 2020 / 9:54 am

Love your transition to winter, so pretty. Your kitchen is always a favorite and your hood decor is so perfect for the winter months. Love it.

January 14, 2020 / 10:01 am

Thanks Marty! It’s definitely nice to take a little break from color right after Christmas. I’m glad you like the simple way I decorated in the kitchen. Thanks for stopping by!

4. January 14, 2020 / 10:05 am

You’re kiiling me with this gorgeous ktichen, Shelley, love, love, love! It’s so fun to see the way you transition from Christmas to winter decor. Pinecones and grennery has always been two of my favorite combinations. I love the way you have them displayed. Hugs and hope you guys are all on the mend, CoCo

January 14, 2020 / 10:36 am

Thanks so much, Coco! You’re so sweet. True, you really can’t go wrong with pine cones and greenery during these cold, winter months. Thanks again and yes, my son is feeling much better…whew!

5. Jann Olson
    January 14, 2020 / 10:28 am

What great winter decor. I love using pinecones and greenery as well! It’s very welcoming.
    Happy winter,
    Jann

January 14, 2020 / 10:38 am

Thank you Jann! Yes, I like to keep it simple after I put away all the colorful Christmas decor. Thanks again and Happy Winter to you too!

January 14, 2020 / 11:15 am

Thanks Jeanie! Enjoy your day!

6. January 14, 2020 / 11:21 am

Black, white, and green is a good color combo for winter. I would not have thought of combining the three. It makes sense to go with what the colors you already have in Your home.

January 14, 2020 / 12:07 pm

Thanks Kristie! Every January I start craving neutrals for awhile…Thanks for stopping by!

7. January 14, 2020 / 12:36 pm

Shelley, your mom chose a fantastic table runner – I love it! Every space you decorated for winter is beautiful. And I love how we have the same banana leaf chairs (is that what they are called?) Stay cozy!

January 14, 2020 / 12:47 pm

Thanks so much Cindy! Yes, my mom knows my taste! I think the chairs are seagrass…mine are from Pottery Barn from a few years back. Thanks again for your lovely comment!

8. January 14, 2020 / 3:12 pm

Hi Shelley, ok, so we have a lot of the same going on. I have the same china and adore it. It’s such a wonderful pattern, we use it every day. Also your white ceramic houses; I’ve kept mine out after Christmas too. they really blend in with a “winter” decor theme. Your recessed range and mantel are gorgeous, love all the wonderful black/white. it’s perfect for this time of year!

January 14, 2020 / 3:46 pm

Thank you so much, Debra! Nice to hear you are still displaying your white houses too. Yes, I think we can totally get away with it because they are so subtle. And the china! I don’t think I realized you had it too! If you come across any pieces for sale anywhere let me know. I could use some more dinner and salad plates but the pieces I’ve seen on Replacements website are so expensive. I wish Royal Doulton would just bring back that pattern! Anyway, thanks again and great hopping with you!

9. Chloe Crabtree
    January 14, 2020 / 6:00 pm

I love all of the white! Everything looks so fresh and clean, just what I like after Christmas! Yoru little white ceramic houses are so cute! The contrast of the dark pinecones and the greenery along with the white orchid! Happy Winter!

January 14, 2020 / 6:06 pm

Thanks Chloe! Once January comes, I really have a need to clear out the color (and clutter) and decorate with neutrals. Thanks again and great to hop with you!

10. Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors
    January 14, 2020 / 7:56 pm

Shelley, your home looks beautiful decorated for the winter season. You have shared some wonderful tips with us. That table runner is beautiful! I noticed it first thing, I was wondering if you might share where you found that pretty lantern you have displayed with the chess set? I hope your son is feeling better, and that the rest of your family has been spared from the flu. Take care, and I hope you are having a better week!

January 14, 2020 / 8:06 pm

Thank you so much, Shannon! Yes, that runner was one of my favorite Christmas gifts. My mom bought it in a local boutique. Regarding that lantern… it’s from Southern Living at Home from many many years ago. The company then changed their name to Willow House and now I believe they are out of business as well. Try looking for it on Ebay. I have actually seen a lot of pieces from them on there. And thank you, yes my son is finally back to school. Last week was a rough one and luckily the rest of us haven’t caught it yet! Thanks for stopping by!

11. January 14, 2020 / 8:18 pm

Oh Shelley, you had me at “black and white!” Black does double-duty in my home decor as an accent in some rooms and a neutral in others. Like you, I have a grand piano in the corner of one room and it probably started my use of black furnishings, wallpaper, window treatments, rugs and more. I absolutely LOVE your mantle — those black and white family photos are fabulous! Did you take them? They look so professional. Treasures for sure.

January 14, 2020 / 8:25 pm

Yes, black and white works so perfectly this time of year, doesn’t it? Thanks for your sweet comment, Debbee! Regarding the photos, I took all but the one of all four of us which was professionally done. Thanks again!

12. January 14, 2020 / 9:52 pm

I love your cozy winter accents, Shelley. I agree–candles DO make any space cozy!

January 15, 2020 / 8:23 am

Thank you, Cecilia! Yes, candles everywhere!!

13. January 14, 2020 / 11:52 pm

So many great tips, thank you for sharing your beautiful ideas!

January 15, 2020 / 8:24 am

Thank you so much, Kristin! Enjoy the rest of your week!

14. January 14, 2020 / 11:55 pm

What beautiful touches of winter, Shelley! I love the neutrals and the way you decorate with black and white. I have some similar little white houses. I wonder if we got them at the same place. Your kitchen is gorgeous, by the way! Happy to hop with you again!

January 15, 2020 / 8:26 am

Thank you Crissy! I bought my houses at Target and at Crate and Barrel. And I think one was from Michael’s or Homegoods too. I will have to go in and update my sources. Thanks again and great hopping with you!

15. January 15, 2020 / 12:30 pm

Hi Shelley, I’m enjoying your black and white winter theme so much. Your rustic fireplace mantel is so good looking and the photos are so fun to share. Pinning for inspiration!

January 15, 2020 / 12:43 pm

Thanks so much, Michelle! Even though I love decorating with color, I always need a break from it this time of year. Thanks for your sweet comment and for pinning!

16. January 15, 2020 / 5:48 pm

Love the crisp and fresh look of black, white and green for the New Year, Shelley!

January 15, 2020 / 10:51 pm

Thanks Lora – I need to simplify at the beginning of the year!

17. January 15, 2020 / 6:31 pm

Everything looks so refreshed and calm for the winter months! I love all the touches of black, especially the runner and that grand piano!!! I also love the kitchen vignette. Beautiful ideas!

Thank you so much for joining the winter home tours!

January 15, 2020 / 10:53 pm

Thanks so much, Amber! I love adding a little black this time of year. Thanks again for hosting this fun hop!

18. January 15, 2020 / 9:14 pm

Shelley I loved all of your tips and all of your black and white inspiration! I have some little white houses too and never thought to leave them out…thank you!

January 15, 2020 / 10:54 pm

Thanks, Kelly! This is the first year I kept the houses out. I figured they are subtle enough and I enjoy them so much! Thanks again for your sweet comment!

19. January 16, 2020 / 5:44 pm

These are wonderful ideas for transitioning from Christmas to winter, Shelley… love the black and white ideas (and your little mouse is adorable… I remember pouring that mold as a young girl in the ceramic studio I worked at as my first job… it’s still just as cute today (and cuter!). Thanks for sharing at TTA! Pinned!

January 16, 2020 / 9:09 pm

Thanks so much, Julie! I am always drawn to black and white during this after Christmas period. It’ just feels calming after all the colors (and clutter) of Christmas! Thanks for pinning too!

20. January 16, 2020 / 10:55 pm

Love your designs! I posted something similar and used a lot of those adorable white homes too! Love the inviting chess board and plaid pillows!

January 25, 2020 / 4:00 pm

Thanks so much, Amy! I love how the little white houses are neutral enough to transition from Christmas to winter! Thanks for stopping by!

21. January 17, 2020 / 12:27 pm

Shelley, I’ve never thought of black and white for winter, but it works beautifully with the winter greens. I so wish that I had not packed away all my pine cones away after Christmas. They are a great addition for winter decor. Love all the candles too. Pinned to my Winter Decor Board.

January 25, 2020 / 4:05 pm

Thank you, Carol! Yes, using pine cones are an easy way to decorate this time of year. Thanks for pinning too!

22. January 17, 2020 / 12:53 pm

Oh I so needed this post as I too and trying to make things look cozy for winter. Things always look so bare when the Christmas decor comes down.

These are some really Good ideas.

Patty
    GoodBetterBestFood.blogspot.com

January 25, 2020 / 4:09 pm

Thank you Patty! Yes, I agree that our homes can look a little bare this time of year. I hope my ideas were helpful!

23. eyeloveknots
    January 17, 2020 / 6:32 pm

Love your entry way table! One of these tables in on my wish list, but right now, we are in a tiny home that I don’t have space. Pinning for inspiration for later.

Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

January 25, 2020 / 4:11 pm

Thank you for your sweet comment – and for pinning!

24. January 18, 2020 / 1:52 pm

You did such a lovely job of decorating. Thanks for sharing.

January 25, 2020 / 4:12 pm

Thanks so much, Liberty! I am flattered that you think so! Enjoy your day!

25. January 18, 2020 / 11:47 pm

Shelly I love all your winter touches. I love how your styled your tiered tray. I like how simple but pretty it is. Everything looks amazing. Love your winter home.

January 25, 2020 / 4:19 pm

Thank you, Terrie! Tiered trays are so much fun for every season, aren’t they? Thanks again and enjoy your day!

26. January 20, 2020 / 8:19 am

I know what you mean about things looking bare, but I sort of enjoy that for a while.

January 25, 2020 / 4:21 pm

I agree! Sometimes we need that clean slate to be able to breathe a bit!

27. January 21, 2020 / 11:02 pm

Shelley your home looks beautiful decorated for winter! I love how you used a black and white color scheme! The black and white photos on the mantel look beautiful and I love the white ceramic houses!

January 25, 2020 / 4:31 pm

Thank you, Larissa! I think black and white works this time of year…always fun to experiment a little, right?

28. January 22, 2020 / 9:32 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick at #ThursdayFavoriteThings this week. Visit me at https://www.marilynstreats.com on thursday morning to see your feature! All hosts choose their own features from the comments left on their blog so be sure to return to my blog to see your feature. I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon. Please don’t forget to add your link numbers or post title so we can be sure to visit!

January 25, 2020 / 4:33 pm

Thank you so much, Marilyn! Always an honor to be featured!

29. Amy Johnson
    January 24, 2020 / 10:24 am

Everything is just so perfect and beautiful!

January 25, 2020 / 4:34 pm

Awe, thanks Amy! Such a nice comment!

30. January 27, 2020 / 3:41 pm

Your kitchen is so pretty friend! Love all the tips!

Happy day!
    karianne

January 27, 2020 / 4:02 pm

Thanks so much, Karianne! Enjoy your week!

31. January 29, 2020 / 1:26 pm

Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too!

32. Karen
    February 3, 2020 / 5:21 pm

I’m late to the party, but everything looks beautiful! I love all the greenery. Just beautiful!

33. February 8, 2020 / 7:46 pm

So many great tips! I love the pinecones everywhere with all the greenery and textures! All so pretty Shelley!