Ever since our kitchen renovation, I’ve received many emails and comments with questions about kitchen layout measurements. Originally, I planned to write a post on the subject right after I shared my before and after photos. Yet, here I am a year later…finally getting around to it! Anyway, if you’re struggling with the ideal kitchen layout dimensions, I hope you find this helpful!
Here are my kitchen layout measurements from every angle…
Since our kitchen ceilings are 9 feet high, we decided to bring the cabinets all the way to the ceiling. The base cabinets are the standard 24 inches deep but the top cabinets are 13 inches deep instead of the standard 12 inches.
Here are more kitchen measurements corresponding to the numbers above:
1. The perimeter counter-top to island-top is 43 inches. You can’t tell in the above picture, but the stainless farm sink extends out a little farther than the rest of the base cabinets. The measurements from the middle edge of the sink to the island-top is about 39 1/2 inches so that section of the walkway is a little smaller.
2. The island length (including granite) is 84 inches.
3. The island width (including granite) is 42 inches.
4. The overhang on the island length is 16 inches. (The overhang on the island width is 10 inches.)
5. The island-top to refrigerator door (not including handles) is 55 inches. We bought a new refrigerator after I took this picture but the measurements are the same.
6. The space between the island top and the kitchen table is approximately 48 inches.
7. The width of the windows (including molding) is 77 inches.
8. The height of the windows (including molding) is 55 1/2 inches.
9. The stainless farm sink is 16 1/2 inches x 28 inches. (inside measurement)
10. The distance from the counter to the bottom of the windowsill is 5 1/2 inches. (I included that measurement because the space on our old window was ridiculously high!)
11. Island-top to top edge of stove is 44 inches. (The stove is 48 inches wide).
12. Island-top to bottom edge of lanterns is 35 3/4 inches.
13. Microwave is 22 inches wide with a 27 inch trim kit around it.
14. Cabinet width is 30 inches.
15. Refrigerator is 36 inches wide x 72 inches high. (The new fridge is the same)
16. Pantry/wine cabinet is 36 inches wide.
17. Bar counter is 48 inches wide.
Overall, these kitchen layout dimensions have worked out well for us with just a few notes to consider:
- It was important for us to have a large space between the island and the refrigerator so I went a little higher than the standard kitchen layout dimensions for that area. I (still) haven’t bought island stools, but when I do, I want to be able to pull them out comfortably. **Update – here are the new counter stools. As you can see, that space is a high traffic area to and from the back door.
- The refrigerator is counter depth in case you didn’t notice.
- Originally, space #11 above was a couple inches smaller. I panicked at the last minute fearing that I wouldn’t have enough space in front of the stove area. Because I made that space larger, the island had to move down, making the overhang on the end a couple inches shorter. With only 10 inches to pull stools under, it’s causing all kinds of problems choosing the right ones!
- You might have noticed there is molding under the granite so the island looks more furniture-like. The problem is, now I can only buy stools with a seat height of 24-25 inches or we will bump our knees. Yes, another reason I still can’t pick out stools.
Hopefully, these measurements were helpful to anyone planning a remodel. Please let me know if I left anything out and I will be happy to check my kitchen dimensions for you!
Back when we were planning ours, it helped to know measurements of kitchens with similar layouts. Sure, I probably could have done a few things differently, but overall we are happy with the outcome…
And so is Rosie!
If you would like to read more about my kitchen renovation, please click here – Kitchen – Before and After from Each Angle.
Are you planning any kitchen renovations?
Follow along so you don’t miss a post!
Subscribe by email – HERE