How to Make Easy DIY Napkin Rings

Since it looks like most of us will be home for awhile, let’s make the best of our situation and get creative!

Today, I’m sharing 3 ways to make easy DIY napkin rings with items you probably have around your home.

Easy DIY Napkin Rings

Obviously, we’re dining at home every day, so why not make our tables pretty!  Plus, once our quarantine situations change, we’ll need to be ready with some spring table settings to welcome our guests.  By the time this is over, I think most of us will be excited to start entertaining again!

Before I share my latest napkin ring creations, I want to tell you that I’m joining a talented group of bloggers for an Creative Craft Blog Hop!  This blog hop is hosted by the talented Chloe of Celebrate and Decorate and she is the first stop on the tour.  Please also be sure to visit the links at the end of this post for tons of creative craft ideas from 25 bloggers!

If you are just arriving from Debbees Buzz – Welcome!  I’ve admired Debbee’s blog for a long time and I’m sure you enjoyed reading about how she made her beautiful floral fascinator!

Here are Three Ways to Make Easy DIY Napkin Rings:

1.  Simple Paper Printouts:

One super-easy way to make a napkin ring is to print out some simple graphics on paper, cut the paper down to size and wrap it around a rolled up napkin.  Just go to one of the free services like Picmonkey, Canva or Ribbet and play around with their designs…

Graduation printouts for easy DIY napkin rings

Obviously, I have graduation on my mind.  It breaks my heart that my younger son won’t get to enjoy all the traditional 8th grade festivities due to the pandemic.  Hopefully, schools will find some way to celebrate the graduates.

Basket of DIY napkin rings with black napkins

For now, we’ll just enjoy these diploma-themed napkins and hope for the best!

Not only are these paper napkin rings easy to make, but the possibilities are endless…You can design them for any occasion!

2.  Easy DIY Tissue Paper Flowers:

If you can’t get to the store to buy flowers, just make your own!  Since most of us have tissue paper in our wrapping supplies, here is an easy project to try.

Supplies:

• tissue paper
  • scissors
  • staples
  • hole puncher
  • pipe cleaner or string

steps to make a pink tissue paper flower

Instructions:

1.  Fold a sheet of tissue paper several times until it gets down to about a 6″ x 6″ square.  Depending on the original size, it may end up being a rectangle.  In that case, fold over one corner and cut off the excess so it ends up square.
  2. Cut all the folded edges so you end up with a stack of approximately 6″ x 6″ loose squares.  Keep eight of them.
  3. Fold the stack back and forth like a fan.  You will probably end up with 6 or 7 folds.
  4. Staple in the middle and begin to carefully pull up each layer.
  5. After one side is done, pull up the layers on the other side.
  6. Flip over and use a hole puncher underneath the middle (by the staple) and thread through the pipe cleaner or string.  You might have to punch a couple layers at a time if the tissue paper is too thick in spots.
  7. Flip back over and you have your flower!

pink DIY tissue paper flower instructions

* Please note, on the bottom left of the step 5 picture you can see that I cut the ends of the folded stack in a curved shape.  (I forgot to take an individual photo of that step).  That step is optional but it gives shape to the petals and makes the finished flower look more authentic in my opinion.

Next, you can simply tie your paper flower around a rolled up napkin and you are ready to set your table!

Pink DIY tissue paper flower napkin ring on blue and white plate

Remember, Mother’s Day is right around the corner.  These would be pretty on each place setting.

3.  Paper Towel Rolls and Flowers from Your Yard:

For my third easy DIY napkin ring, I cut a cardboard paper towel roll and wrapped a wired burlap ribbon around it.  Obviously, a toilet paper roll would work as well…if you have any!  We all know how hard it is to find toilet paper these days.  Anyway, if you don’t have any wired burlap ribbon, you could also use a piece of burlap.  And…if you don’t have burlap, a natural textured piece of fabric would work too!  We definitely have to use what we have while we’re home…

diy burlap and paper towel roll for napkin ring

Just tape the burlap (or fabric) around the cardboard roll.

Then take a colorful ribbon or piece of fabric (I used a pink gingham ribbon) and tie it around the the burlap.  Stick a fresh or faux bunch of flowers in the top (I used a small section from a flowering tree).  Then just roll up a napkin and slide it through the DIY napkin ring!

flower and gingham diy napkin ring on white plate

This look would also be pretty for a Mother’s Day table or any spring occasion!

DIY burlap and pink gingham napkin ring on white plate

Hopefully, I’ve inspired you to create some easy DIY napkin rings with items from around your home.

Since you are probably cleaning and organizing your home these days, take a look through your wrapping supplies and craft boxes to see what you can come up with!   You might even find some ways to repurpose items you’ve used before like I did for my Easter table this year.  Get creative with the time you have at home!

Once again, thank you to Chloe from Celebrate and Decorate for hosting!  Your next stop on our tour is B4 and Afters.  Liberty is sharing a toilet paper tree for her creative craft.  Be sure to swing by and say hello!

Please also visit the rest of the participants on the Creative Craft Blog Hop from the list below…

Creative Craft Blog Hop

Debbee’s Buzz
Calypso in the Country
B4 and Afters
Purple Hues and Me
Bluesky at Home
Raggedy Bits
Faeries & Fauna Craft Co.
Elle Marie Home
Zucchini Sisters

What kind of DIY projects have you tackled lately?

PinterestInstagram / Facebook / Twitter

Pin this

Easy DIY Napkin Rings

Sharing at these parties:

Imparting Grace – Grace at Home, Katherine’s Corner – Thursday Favorite Things, Chic on a Shoestring – Flaunt it Friday, Pieced Pastimes – Saturday Sparks, Finding Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sunday, Two Chicks and a Mom – Create Bake MakeEclectic Red Barn – Happiness is Homemade, Marilyn’s Treats – Over the MoonMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia – Inspire Me Monday, A Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me Tuesday, Follow the Yellow Brick Home – All About Home, The Dedicated House – Make it Pretty Monday, Homestories – Tutorials and Tips, My Life Abundant – Wonderful WednesdayMy Wee Abode – Tuesday Turnaround, Life and Linda – Love Your Creativity

1. April 23, 2020 / 9:46 am

Festive and pretty napkin rings Shelley! I feel badly for the class of 2020 too who are missing Prom and graduation. Happy to be crafting with you today. Stay safe!

April 23, 2020 / 9:48 am

Thanks Mary! Yes, it’s such a shame for all the graduates. My son seems to be okay with missing most of the end of the year events (the dance, especially – ha!) but he really does miss his friends and teachers. Let’s hope this all ends soon!

2. Chas
    April 23, 2020 / 10:08 am

These are so fun! Great tutorial and they turned out great. Love them!!!! Perfect for spring and summer. Thanks for sharing

April 23, 2020 / 10:27 am

Thanks Chas! Always fun to use what you have! Enjoy your day and stay well!

3. April 23, 2020 / 10:28 am

Shelley these are all so pretty and perfect for spring celebrations, I’m just sorry to hear that your son can’t enjoy his graduation.

April 23, 2020 / 11:08 am

Thanks Rachelle! Yes, a lot of graduates are really missing out this year…such a shame. But we just have to be thankful for our good health. It really puts things in perspective! Stay well!

4. April 23, 2020 / 10:31 am

Great tutorial! Pretty napkin rings! Always fun coming over to your place.
    Stay well my friend.

April 23, 2020 / 11:17 am

Thanks so much Nancy – great to see you here! Stay well, friend!

5. April 23, 2020 / 11:02 am

Oh Shelley, I LOVE these! The tissue paper flower is brilliant, and the addition of small fresh blooms is so pretty! I will be trying these for sure, thanks so much!
    Jenna

April 23, 2020 / 11:19 am

Thanks so much, Jenna! Since I love decorating tables, I thought these would be some fun projects to try…I have plenty of time! Stay well!

6. gmonicalruhlhotmailcom
    April 23, 2020 / 12:27 pm

These are great! I have made tissue paper flowers before, but hadn’t thought to use them as napkin rings, Brilliant! You have also inspired me to have a graduation dinner to honor my eighth grade son. I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal to me, None of the Jr HIgh school’s had 8th grade graduation, I didn’t think it would upset me that much, but when I saw it canceled yesterday, I cried. So your napkin rings have inspired me to have a special dinner for him!.Thanks so much to continue to share during this difficult time!

April 23, 2020 / 12:49 pm

Thank you so much! I’m rushing so much when I go to the grocery store that I don’t have time to buy flowers…some DIY ones will have to do for now! Sorry to hear your 8th grade graduation is cancelled. I’m sure ours will be too but they haven’t announced it yet. In NJ, the school year usually ends in mid June so maybe they are waiting to see what happens between now and then. It’s all so sad on so many levels. Happy graduation to your son and thanks for your sweet comment!

7. April 23, 2020 / 12:39 pm

These are all great ideas! If only I used napkin rings…. maybe one day! I love tissue paper flowers, and the cardboard tube is a great idea.

Liberty

April 23, 2020 / 12:50 pm

Thanks Liberty! I love setting tables so these were fun projects for me. Stay well, friend!

8. April 23, 2020 / 12:42 pm

Shelley, three clever and easy ways to make great napkin rings! We both had florals on the brain for our craft and I love your tissue paper tutorial in particular. They’d be great for a bridal shower or wedding reception — or to create my floral fascinator project instead of using silk ones. I smiled when I see we both have found a way to repurpose toilet paper rolls too — mine were pilgrims and indians for Thanksgiving. But, your’s are absolutely lovely wrapped and burlap and adorned with fresh flowers. Pinning for future projects!

April 23, 2020 / 12:52 pm

Thanks so much, Debbee! Yes, you could definitely use the tissue paper flower idea for your fascinators! That would be so cute! We have to use what we have these days…our situation is forcing us all to be extra creative. Thanks and stay well!

9. Terrie Tipler
    April 23, 2020 / 1:27 pm

Shelley great ideas that we all can do. They all look awesome on the table. Love the burlap with flowers. Cute idea for Mother’s Day.

April 23, 2020 / 1:42 pm

Thanks Terrie! Let’s hope things are starting to get back to normal by Mother’s Day!

10. April 23, 2020 / 2:33 pm

Oooo I like them all but if I had to pick it would be the last one. Flowers from the garden are so special and add that natural beauty that just can’t be beat.

April 23, 2020 / 2:35 pm

Thanks Patti! I think that might be my favorite napkin ring too! I always love layering fabrics and flowers together. Thanks for stopping by and stay well!

11. April 23, 2020 / 5:41 pm

Shelley, wonderful, pretty and creative ideas you have shared with us today! I love paper flowers and these darling pink tissue paper napkin rings remind me of peonies!
    I had fun sharing in the creative joy of crafting with you on this blog hop!
    Jemma

April 23, 2020 / 8:51 pm

Thanks Jemma! Yes, I was hoping mine would look like peonies! Great to hope with you!

12. Bonnie Morgan
    April 23, 2020 / 6:04 pm

Very creative, Shelley! Love your different napkins DIY napkin rings.

April 23, 2020 / 9:31 pm

Thanks Bonnie! It was fun to play around with my craft supplies – kept my mind off reality for a bit! Stay well!

13. April 23, 2020 / 6:51 pm

These are so cute! I’m inspired to try these the next time I change up my table!

April 23, 2020 / 9:32 pm

Thanks Kristin! It’s always fun to try new combinations. Great to hop with you!

14. April 23, 2020 / 10:47 pm

These are all pretty, but the one with the burlap is my favorite. I have a picnic basket to makeover if we ever get to go out and about again, and your little burlap napkin rings will be perfect. Pinning.

April 24, 2020 / 9:57 am

Thanks, Leanna! A picnic basket makeover sounds fun – and I’m glad you liked my napkin ring idea! Stay well!

15. eyeloveknots
    April 24, 2020 / 9:48 am

I am kicking myself now for now keeping my toilet paper tubes! Definitely going to be starting now because that’s an excellent idea!

Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

April 24, 2020 / 10:00 am

Thanks, Alexandra! Might as well put them to good use…we definitely value our toilet paper these days, don’t we?! Stay well!

16. pamela
    April 24, 2020 / 9:56 am

These napkin rings are adorable, the burlap one is my favorite!

April 24, 2020 / 10:01 am

Thank you Pamela! Glad you like them – always fun to try new combinations… Hope you are safe and well!

17. April 24, 2020 / 10:07 am

These are so pretty, Shelley. What a great way to use little bits and pieces from our craft stashes! Happy to be joining you for this creative hop! Blessings, Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

April 24, 2020 / 10:22 am

Thanks, Cecilia! Keeping busy with crafts has been a great way to keep my mind off of things going on in the world. Hope you are well!

18. Gail Griffin
    April 24, 2020 / 3:51 pm

I think of all the craft projects out there, making napkin rings is one of my favorite! You’ve given us additional ways to make them and I’m loving them all! Great tutorials – and I love the paper flowers the best! So pretty!

April 26, 2020 / 7:37 pm

Thanks so much, Gail! I love experimenting with napkin rings as well…so many options!

19. April 25, 2020 / 3:41 am

What fun ideas and your right about the need to set a pretty table while we are stuck inside. Fun hopping with you!

April 26, 2020 / 7:48 pm

Thanks, Cynthia! Setting the table helps it feel normal again… Great hopping with you too!

20. April 25, 2020 / 1:48 pm

So many cute ideas. I especially love the paper flowers. I’ve been wanting to try making those and I love them as a napkin ring. Glad to find your blog on the hop!

April 26, 2020 / 7:50 pm

Thanks Andrea! Yes, the paper flowers were fun to make and can be done in so many sizes. Looks like I will have plenty of time to experiment! Stay well!

21. April 25, 2020 / 2:53 pm

All of the versions that you shared are so pretty. I have my fingers crossed that by Mother’s Day I may be able to see my mom. I hate that your son is missing out on his 8th grade graduation and other 8th grade special activities.

April 26, 2020 / 7:53 pm

Thanks Paula! Yes, I hope you get to see your mom…still a few weeks away. I think Virginia is in much better shape than NJ. Who knows when things will start getting back to normal here. I am hoping that we at least get to have the graduation – even if he has to miss all the other festivities. Such a strange and scary time. Stay well!

22. lauraeverydayedits
    April 26, 2020 / 10:39 am

Sharing on the weekend edit later today! very cute ideas! laura in Colorado!

April 26, 2020 / 7:54 pm

Thanks so much Laura! Stay well!

23. Chloe Crabtree
    April 26, 2020 / 5:10 pm

Shelley, these are all so cute. You know I love setting a pretty table and these are great way to customize your place settings. Thank you so much for joining in our hop!

April 26, 2020 / 7:57 pm

Thank you, Chloe! Yes, and your table settings are always so beautiful…love them all! Thanks again for hosting this awesome blog hop. I enjoyed seeing all the creative ideas. Stay well!

24. April 26, 2020 / 5:52 pm

Great ideas! My favorite is the tissue paper napkin ring. Pinned.

April 26, 2020 / 7:58 pm

Thanks so much, Allyson! I hope I inspired you – and thanks for pinning!

April 30, 2020 / 9:52 am

Thanks, Patti! They were fun to make!

25. Richella J. Parham
    April 30, 2020 / 9:28 am

I LOVE this post! Cloth napkins are an everyday item in our house, but napkin rings are not–I love the idea of dressing up the table a bit with napkin rings. Your ideas are brilliant! I’m pinning this for future reference.

Thanks so much for joining the Grace at Home party at Imparting Grace. I’m featuring you this week!

April 30, 2020 / 9:54 am

What a nice surprise! Thank you, Richella! We have been using cloth napkins even more these days because we are running out of paper ones! Who knows when we will find those in the stores again…

26. Rebecca
    April 30, 2020 / 9:44 pm

I love your DIY napkin rings, Shelley! They would make even a casual meal feel special. Thanks for the great tissue paper flower tutorial! I like how you used items that were already on hand, like the paper towel tubes, ribbon, and flowering branches from your yard. It was fun hopping with you!

May 1, 2020 / 8:16 am

Thank you, Rebecca! It was fun to work with things I had around the house…of course I didn’t have much of choice these days! Stay well!

27. May 1, 2020 / 11:22 am

Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too! Please stay safe and healthy. Come party with us at Over The Moon! Catapult your content Over The Moon! @marilyn_lesniak @EclecticRedBarn

28. May 1, 2020 / 10:00 pm

Shelley, these are all so adorable! My daughter is graduating from high school this year and we’re still holding out hope for some type of graduation ceremony. No matter what happens, we will be having a special dinner to celebrate and these napkin rings will be perfect. I hope your son’s school finds a way to celebrate his accomplishments. Pinned!

May 2, 2020 / 11:01 am

Thanks so much, Lynne! I hope your daughter gets to have some kind of graduation…congratulations to her! So far we haven’t heard anything about my son’s. New Jersey hasn’t made any decision about the end of the school year yet. Normally, we end in mid June so we might have some time. Unfortunately, New York just announced they will continue online for the rest of the school year and we have been following along with New York on other things. Fingers crossed…

29. May 4, 2020 / 3:21 pm

Very cute napkins rings. Making your own is so creative and inexpensive.