Afternoon Tea in the Spring

Today, I am joining a wonderful group of bloggers for a  Spring Tea Party Blog Hop!

Before we get started, I want to thank Amber from Follow the Yellow Brick Home for hosting!  If you don’t already follow Amber, be sure to swing by and visit her gorgeous blog!

If you are just arriving from Virginia Sweet Pea …Welcome!  Paula is a dear blogger friend and she always decorates her home so beautifully.

At the end of this post, you will find a list of all the participants in the blog hop.  Be sure to visit as many as you can for some creative Spring Tea Party ideas!

spring tea party

Afternoon Tea in the Spring:

For my spring tea post, I decorated a living room table in a spring garden style.  With all the flowers and trees blooming, it made sense to use nature as my inspiration.  Although, I must admit, I do not have a green thumb.  I am working on it, though.  To play it safe, I used faux greenery and flowers for my spring tea table.

white teapot and flowers

Since my table is situated near the window, I do have a view of all the green grass and trees outside.  Too bad it has been raining for the millionth day in a row!  With all the precipitation we’ve been getting, I am expecting some amazing flowers!

Spring Color Inspiration:

To decorate my tea table, I tried to bring the outside in with greens and blues.  Then I accented those colors with lots of white from the flowers to the dishes and containers.  To me, bright white just feel so fresh for the spring season!

White teapot

To go along with my color scheme, I even matched the tea bags!  Of course, I have tons of those since I am a tea drinker.  Even though I love the smell of coffee, I drink tea every morning for my caffeine fix.  Then I usually have an iced tea or two during the day.

Monet scarf for tablecloth

In order to really pull the colors together, I used this colorful “tablecloth”.  Actually, it’s a Monet printed scarf that my mom bought me a few years ago.  Scarfs can be great for adding splashes of color and I use them often in my vignettes.

afternoon tea and flowers

Most of the time, I use white dishes as well.  Even though I love decorating a table with my blue and white dishes, I feel the white is just so classic…and it goes with everything!

white tea cup

With all our busy schedules, it’s relaxing to sit down time for a cup of tea!  Maybe I will start adding an afternoon tea to my routine!

cup of tea

Afternoon Tea vs. High Tea:

Just in case you were wondering, afternoon tea is generally served on a “low table” with lighter food selections such as sandwiches and scones.  Usually, it’s served in the late afternoon around 4:00 p.m.   Traditionally, high tea is served a little later at a “higher” table such as a dining room table.  For the high tea, a heavier supper is generally served.

spring tea table

Tiered Tray of Tea Snacks:

What is afternoon tea without the fun snacks to go along with it?  Traditionally, you would use a 3 tiered tray for the 3 “courses”.  The bottom tray would hold the tea sandwiches, the middle would hold the scones and jams and the top would be for the sweets.

Unfortunately, I could only find my two tiered tray…so I just went with all sweets.  I don’t hear anyone complaining…

tiered tray with tea snacks

Even though I used mostly blues and greens for my tea table, I brought in some bright pinks for the coffee table.

pastries on plate

Obviously with all the rain, I am craving some color!

Afternoon Tea pastries on tiered tray

I hope you enjoyed my afternoon tea in the spring!

**Next, be sure to visit Coco at  The Crowned Goat for more creative ideas for spring tea!

Also remember to visit each of participants on the tour for tons of spring tea inspiration!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Spring Tea Party Collage

Follow the Yellow Brick HomeA Stroll Thru LifeOur Southern Home / Common GroundDecor to Adore

Spring Tea Party Collage 2

County Road 407Art and SandLet’s Add SprinklesBotanic BleuThe Painted Hinge

Spring Tea Party Collage 3

Celebrate and DecoratePetite HausMy Thrift Store AddictionRosemary and ThymeVirginia Sweet Pea

spring tea party collage 4

Calypso in the CountryThe Crowned GoatLora BloomquistThe Tattered PewBluesky at Home

Spring Tea Party Collage 5

White Arrows HomeWelch House 1900Thistle Key LaneDecorate and More with Tip

Thanks again for stopping by and enjoy the tour!

signature

simple afternoon tea

Joining these parties:

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia – Inspire Me Monday, A Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me Tuesday,  Celebrate and Decorate – Celebrate Your Story,  The How To Home – Project Inspired Link Party  The Dedicate House – Make It Pretty Monday,  Serving Up Southern – Homestyle Gathering  My Life Abundant – Wonderful Wednesday, DIY by Design – Swing into Spring  Designthusiasm – Style Showcase,  Marilyn’s Treats – Thursday Favorite Things  From Gardners to Bergers – The Handmade Hangout Imparting Grace – Grace at Home  Chic on a Shoestring – Flaunt it Friday  Two Chicks and a Mom – Funtastic Friday,  Pieced Pastimes – Saturday Sparks,  Finding Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sunday  DIY Showoff – Showoff and Share

1. paulasweetpea
    May 6, 2019 / 7:32 am

I would love to sit in your beautiful home and enjoy tea and yummy desserts with you! Your Monet scarf makes a pretty base for your tea pot and tea accessories. Seeing your tea display reminds me of visiting The Homestead where they have tea every afternoon for guests. I know you are thinking about going there, so if you do, I know you’ll enjoy that part of your visit.

May 6, 2019 / 7:42 am

Thanks, Paula! Yes, one of these days you will have to swing by my house while you are out on one of your road trips! The Homestead is definitely on my list and knowing they have an afternoon tea makes it sound even more charming. I am sure the Woodstock Inn probably has something in the afternoon as well. Maybe the timing on a future visit there will work with our schedules again! Have a great week!

2. May 6, 2019 / 8:27 am

What a pretty table! You are so clever to use such a lovely scarf. I am drolling over your tiered tray of sweet treats.

May 6, 2019 / 8:51 am

Thank you so much, Laura! It’s always fun to re-purpose things, isn’t it? Great to be blog hopping with you!

3. May 6, 2019 / 10:22 am

I never knew there was a difference between “high tea” and “low tea”; thanks for explaining, Shelley! Your array of sweets is making me drool! Yes, white dishes are so classic and can be used so many ways!

May 6, 2019 / 2:01 pm

Thanks, Lora! Years ago, I learned about the afternoon tea custom on one of my girls’ weekend getaways. Such a fun tradition, isn’t it? Enjoy your day!

4. May 6, 2019 / 12:49 pm

Well I learned something new today! I thought tea was always at 4:00 and that’s it. Wow, that seals the deal. I must go to England and figure all of this out. 🙂 Love your tables and tiered tray – beautifully styled.

May 6, 2019 / 2:11 pm

Thank you so much, Cindy! I used to think the terms meant the same thing…in fact, I have seen places advertise “high tea” at 4:00. Either way, I’d love an excuse to go to England as well! Have a wonderful day!

5. May 6, 2019 / 2:16 pm

I love your white tea set. It’s so pretty. The treats looks amazing.

May 6, 2019 / 2:41 pm

Thanks Katie! I think I might start the afternoon tea ritual just for the treats – ha! Thanks for swinging by!

6. May 6, 2019 / 4:08 pm

It is one hundred percent gorgeous, Shelley — beautiful setting, lovely text and fabulous photos. And no, no one will mind that you skipped the sandwiches and went with the sweets!

May 6, 2019 / 6:34 pm

Awe, thank you so much, Jeanie! Who would choose sandwiches over sweets, right? Lol – thanks for stopping by!

7. cynthiahattersley
    May 6, 2019 / 4:55 pm

I am coming over this looks like fun!

May 6, 2019 / 6:36 pm

That would be so much fun, Cindy!

8. May 6, 2019 / 6:09 pm

Hi Shelley, so interesting about the meaning of “High” tea. I have to admit I’m relatively clueless about that tradition, but love the idea of it. Same with the tiered tray. LOVE your beautiful classic white teapot and china!

May 6, 2019 / 6:40 pm

Thanks so much, Debra! Yes, I know that the terms “high” tea and “afternoon” tea are sometimes used interchangeably but I learned the difference years ago during a girls’ weekend. I am sure either can be used but I thought it was interesting when I learned about it.

9. May 6, 2019 / 8:03 pm

What a lovely tea setting. Your tiered tray filled with treats is delightful! Happy to be joining you for the tea party tour this week! Blessings, Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

May 6, 2019 / 8:45 pm

Thank you, Cecilia! Tiered trays are so much fun to decorate, aren’t they? Great blog hopping with you!

10. May 6, 2019 / 9:27 pm

I’m always learning new things about tea. It’s a fascinating subject to me with so much tradition and history. Love your afternoon tea set up on your round table. So lovely and so are those sweet treats!

May 6, 2019 / 10:01 pm

Thanks, Michelle! Yes, I agree that the traditions and history are fascinating. Thanks for stopping by and so nice to join in the blog hop with you!

May 7, 2019 / 9:16 am

You got it! Thanks Carole!

11. May 7, 2019 / 11:52 am

Gorgeous. Your table looks so pretty and I love, love, love the white teapots and flowers. Your tiered tray with such fabulous treats look so good, I would probably have to have one of each.

May 7, 2019 / 1:37 pm

You’re so sweet, Marty…thank you! Those sweets didn’t last long in my house between myself and the boys! It’s been great joining you on the blog hop!

12. May 7, 2019 / 4:54 pm

We could be twins Shelley! All my tiers were covered in sweets too. I could snack on something sweet every day of the week. It totally gets me in trouble ha ha. I love your white dishes and how you have everything displayed. The scarf idea is fabulous. I definitely need to try that sometime. Hope the rain clears away soon so you can enjoy being outside with all your flowers. Spring is such a beautiful time of year! Hugs, CoCo

May 7, 2019 / 5:23 pm

Too funny! I can’t control myself around sweets…I have to remind myself that it’s almost bathing suit season! Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Coco!

13. May 8, 2019 / 12:57 am

Shelley,
    Yes, we are all in trouble with those sweets. I love your tea setting with the wicker chairs and the table between them. Such a relaxing spot for enjoying an afternoon tea…

Judith

May 8, 2019 / 7:21 am

Thank you, Judith! I probably should have filled that tray with veggies with the way I have been snacking lately! Thanks for stopping by!

14. May 8, 2019 / 1:35 am

Oh your crisp white dishes are so pretty with the pops of color provided by the Monet scarf (great idea!) and napkins. I love the flowers and colorful selection of teas! Thanks for sharing the differences between afternoon tea and high tea, I never knew! Your pops of pink flowers and styled tiered tray of sweet treats are so pretty as well.

Thank you so much for joining the hop. Enjoy your tea and goodies!

May 8, 2019 / 7:24 am

Your blog hops always motivate me to experiment a little – thanks again for hosting. Thank you also for your very sweet comment. Even though I have other dishes, I find I use the white ones the most for their versatility. Have a great day!

15. May 8, 2019 / 1:55 am

It’s nearly midnight and now I’m craving sweets after looking at your yummy treats.

May 8, 2019 / 7:26 am

Ha! If we didn’t already gobble them down, I would probably be snacking on them right now! Thanks for swinging by!

16. May 8, 2019 / 9:04 am

Shelley, the white dishes mixed with your Monet scarf ~ great idea, by the way ~ is so classic and perfect for your afternoon tea. I low the tiered tray with all the yummy sweets. I understand about the rain. We had another big rain storm this morning and more predicted. Like you, I hope the flowers love it.

May 8, 2019 / 12:52 pm

Thanks so much, Carol! Yes, I am hoping our yards are bursting with flowers after all this rain! Enjoy your day!

17. May 8, 2019 / 7:03 pm

I didn’t realize there was a difference between high tea and afternoon tea… I think when I’ve gone to England and Canada we always go to high tea then, with the 3tiered stands. Your tea party treats have me drooling!

May 8, 2019 / 8:29 pm

It seems like a lot of places use the terms interchangeably… Either way, it’s nice to sit and relax with a cup of tea in the afternoon! Thanks for your kind words and enjoy the rest of your week!

18. Chloe Crabtree
    May 9, 2019 / 3:01 pm

The scarf you used as a tablecloth is lovely. It does remind me of a beautiful pond filled with colorful blooming water lilies. I, too, love using different kinds of textiles to dress tables. Your little white tea pot is so elegant. It has been lovely hopping with you!

May 9, 2019 / 3:47 pm

Thanks so much, Chloe! It’s always fun to try different things in vignettes. Thanks for stopping by and it’s been great hopping with you too!

19. May 9, 2019 / 5:43 pm

I’m visiting from Katherine’s Corner. I love the stark white to bring forth the colors of spring from the other elements. I’m a high tea person myself, because I like serious food. I had no idea the different tray levels were for different courses.

May 9, 2019 / 10:30 pm

Thanks for stopping by with your lovely comment. Yes, I just learned about the tray levels recently. Of course you probably noticed I only had sweets on mine. I am such a rule breaker. Have a great weekend!

20. Julie Briones
    May 11, 2019 / 11:32 pm

Lovely, Shelley! Where did you get your white dishes? Love the texture and detail they have. Thanks for sharing at Homestyle Gathering!

May 12, 2019 / 8:42 pm

Thanks, Julie! My white dishes are Mikasa Italian Countryside. Thanks for stopping by!

21. May 15, 2019 / 3:59 pm

Thank you for sharing at #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Pinned and shared.

May 15, 2019 / 4:24 pm

Thanks Marilyn! Have a great day!

22. Marilyn Lesniak
    May 15, 2019 / 5:54 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick at #ThursdayFavoriteThings this week. Visit me at https://www.marilynstreats.com on thursday morning to see your feature! All hosts choose their own features from the comments left on their blog so be sure to return to my blog to see your feature. I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon. Please don’t forget to add your link numbers or post title so we can be sure to visit!

May 16, 2019 / 7:14 am

Thanks so much, Marilyn! What a nice way to start the day! I hope you have a nice one as well!

23. May 16, 2019 / 12:35 pm

Lovely tea blog hop. I am Scottish and I love tea so I could not resist this wonderful post. I pinned this to my tea board. Happy Spring, Kippi #kippiathome

May 16, 2019 / 4:24 pm

How great that you have a “tea board”…I need to start one! Thank you so much for your kind words and for pinning! Enjoy your weekend!