My Fireplace – Before and After

Since we were changing our floors to hardwood, we thought it would also be a good time to give our fireplace a makeover!

BEFORE:

Here is an unattractive ‘before’ picture from demo day…because we all know it’s much more dramatic having an ugly ‘before’!

Otherwise, I might start missing when my fireplace looked like this…

Ok, now I feel sad…

Anyway, we wanted to build up the hearth, get rid of those broken down ugly glass/brass doors and basically give the fireplace some presence in the room!  Recently, I gave a few examples of the new look I was going for.. Fireplace Options.  My husband and I went back and forth for awhile and finally agreed to go with a cultured stone.

After ripping off our old oak mantel, the guys got to work on framing the fireplace for the new stone.

It already felt much bigger with the raised hearth and additional depth.

And with the half wall gone the fireplace could be even more of a focal point!

By that point, the surface had been prepped for the stone.

And crown molding was added to the top.

As you can see, the new mantel was in place when they started stacking the stone.

The mantel is an old piece of barn wood from over 100 years ago…definitely a rustic touch.  I figured I would let my husband have some masculine features in the room to balance out my white girly kitchen at the other end!  I also let my husband make the final decision on the actual stone color.  We had decided on Boral Country Ledgestone and he chose the color Hudson Bay which I was fine with since it had a mixture of grays and tans.

We couldn’t decide between stacked and grouted but ended up doing the grout.

AFTER

Ta-da!

And another AFTER with no lights…

Ta-da again!

From builder basic to rustic farmhouse!

Overall, I am happy with the new look.  The stone is a little darker than I originally wanted but I am excited with how it turned out.  I can’t wait to start decorating the mantel.  What fun it will be at Christmastime!!  Yay!

* Update – Click the links below to see a few different ways I have decorated my new fireplace!

Any renovations going on in your home?

Linking to:

Dixie Delights – Share Your StyleDIY by Design – Sizzle into SummerSavvy Southern Style – Wow us WednesdaysNancherrow – Fridays UnfoldedRattlebridge Farm – Foodie Friday and Everything ElseFrench Country Cottage – Feathered Nest FridayA Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me Tuesday,

1. Natalie Land
    June 25, 2015 / 3:28 am

At last 🙂 I am so jealous you got the stone that I was dreaming of!!It does look darker in real life than on the website. Would have been better a smidge lighter I think but how amazing will it look like decorated at Christmas time.Cheers,Nat

2. Courtney@Golden Boys and Me
    June 25, 2015 / 11:34 am

It looks great! I love the stone you chose. It adds so much warmth to the space. It will be fun to decorate it for fall too. Have a great week!

3. therelishedroost
    June 25, 2015 / 12:45 pm

Gave it a rustic chic look, love it!

4. Traci Hutton
    June 25, 2015 / 5:57 pm

It looks amazing!! It grounds the room and will complement your decor even more!!

5. Carol
    June 25, 2015 / 7:13 pm

That is a great transformation, Shelley! You must be getting so excited!

6. Nancy Powell
    June 26, 2015 / 1:34 pm

Shelly this is unbelievably beautiful. You are doing such gorgeous things to your home! Let me know if this reply works please! My website and blog links are all screwed up 🙁 You will need to change my blog link to http://www.powellbrower.blogspot.com- sorry!xo

7. thistlewoodfarm
    June 26, 2015 / 2:12 pm

Your new fireplace looks amazing! Such a beautiful transformation!!

8. carolyn bradford
    June 26, 2015 / 7:12 pm

Very pretty! You will really enjoy that I am sure!

9. Kelly
    July 2, 2015 / 12:46 am

I love it! I like your rustic mantel too. That was very brave of you to let your husband make the selections for this fireplace. Ha Ha! He did good. I know you must be so happy to have all of these nice renovations happening at one time. You're going to feel like you live in a new house!

10. Carry Scanlon
    January 5, 2016 / 9:58 am

Adding a fireplace to any home can instantly change its overall atmosphere. The addition not only adds considerable value to your home but instantly transforms your home into an elegant living space. There is a variety of style, colors, and materials you can choose from for your new fireplace. You have a choice of a dozen safety features to add.Carry Scanlon @ Chim Chimney

11. Lindsey Mckenzie
    January 20, 2016 / 3:49 am

Seemed like a huge undertaking but you guys made it look easy. I love the rustic look and the stone itself is fantastic. I wish I could have a fireplace more than anything, the one I had at my old home was similiar and saved us a bunch on heating bills.Lindsey Mckenzie @ Buchanan Fire And Outdoor