How We Transition From Summer To Fall

Welcome, friends and Happy September to you!

Today, I am sharing how we transition from summer to fall in our home.  Also, I am honored to be joining over 25 talented bloggers for the “Transitioning from Summer to Fall” Blog Hop!

Before we get started, I want to thank Amber from Follow the Yellow Brick Home for hosting this end of summer blog hop!  If you don’t already follow her, head over to her blog (1st stop on the blog hop) to see how she decorates her beautiful home using vintage treasures and inspiring seasonal decor.

*If you are just arriving from Katie’s blog, Let’s Add Sprinkles,…Welcome!  I am sure you enjoyed seeing how she transitions her lovely home from summer to fall!  I love her decorating style!

At the end of this post, you will find a list of all the participants in the blog hop.  Be sure to visit as many as you can for tons of Transitioning from Summer to Fall ideas!  Let’s get started…

Transitioning from Summer to Fall

Transitioning from Summer to Fall

If you are like most of us, you find it a challenge to decorate your home during this in-between period.  It’s still warm but the days are getting shorter and the evenings are getting chillier.  Each year, I have a hard time letting go of summer so I need to do it slowly.

outdoor coffee table vignette

Decorating with Seasonal Flowers

Flowers are always a great accessory to use.  When we put in a pool and patio this summer, we also planted some hydrangea bushes.  Luckily, this gave me an abundance of flowers to cut and display.  I gathered up a bunch and brought my round tray outside to make a quick vignette on the coffee table.

Hydrangeas by the pool

Since I am not quite ready for the vibrant colors of fall, the neutral tones felt right to me.  With everything still so green and colorful outside, there is no need to add more color anyway.

I also brought some hydrangeas inside…

hydrangeas on the windowsill - end of summer decorating

An easy way to decorate a window sill is to put a single flower in each vase.  You can’t get much simpler than that!

Opening the Windows

As we transition from summer to fall, we are having more opportunities to open the windows and enjoy the breeze…

open windows in the kitchen

Even though the afternoons have still been warm here, the mornings and evenings have been cooler.  Basically, I spend all day opening and closing windows!  It’s worth it though, since I love the fresh air.

Neutrals in the Kitchen

Although, I love color in my home, I mostly use neutrals this time of year.  There will be plenty of time for brighter colors once fall arrives!

white kitchen with stained wood island -how we transition from summer to fall

As you can see, I brought my round wood tray back inside to where it usually sits.  Adding a few seasonal pieces gives a simple, uncluttered look to the island.  I guess I need things to be quiet and calm this time of year.  Once school starts this week, the pace will pick up again around here!

round tray with hydrangeas - transition from summer to fall

Bringing the Outside In

Since we have plantation shutters in our living room, I love to open them up along with the windows.  With all the windows open, I feel more connected to the front yard and I love all the light they let in…and of course the breeze.

seagrass chairs in front of open windows

On our coffee table, I keep a basket of shells.  Our family spends a lot of time at the Jersey shore in the summer so the shells are a great reminder of our summer weekends.  Once fall arrives, I usually fill the basket with mini white pumpkins and then pine cones in the winter.

Basket of shells on coffee table - ideas to transition from summer to fall

A simple white pitcher holds more flowers from my yard…

summer flowers by the window

Once again, the uncluttered approach seems to work for me this time of year!

Classic Blue and White

Now, what was I saying about keeping things calm and neutral?  Well, that’s not really the case in my dining room…

sunflowers in navy dining room

Since my dining room is navy, I love the way bright, yellow sunflowers pop against the walls.

navy dining room with sunflowers

Recently, I bought this bunch of sunflowers and I thought they were perfect for this transitional time of year.  Plus, they coordinate so well with all my blue and white porcelain.  I used that combination to decorate my foyer a few years ago.  I will never get tired of classic blue and white…for any season!

sunflowers in white pitcher - decor ideas to transition from summer to fall

And I will never get tired of using simple white pitchers for my flowers.  You can never have too many!

Enjoying the Moments

As the days get shorter and summer is winding down, we are trying to soak up every last moment of the season.  During this transitional time of year, I think we all are guilty of rushing through things.  Let’s all slow down and savor this beautiful season!

hydrangeas in the window - end of summer decor

Thanks for stopping by to see how I transition my home from summer to fall!  I hope I have inspired you with ideas for your home.

**Next, be sure to visit The Painted Hinge for her 5 Tips for Transitioning from Summer to Fall!

Also remember to visit each of participants on the tour for tons inspiration!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Once again, here is the full list of participants in the “Transitioning from Summer to Fall Blog Hop”:

Enjoy the transition from summer to fall tour!

signature

Pin this

Transition from Summer to Fall

1. September 3, 2019 / 9:18 am

Your home is so pretty and I love how you open all the windows to enjoy the beautiful fresh air this time of year. I still love seeing glimpses of your gorgeous new pool and patio. I agree with you, simple is best this time of year.

September 3, 2019 / 9:47 am

Thanks so much, Marty! I still need to do the before and after of the pool area but there are so many details to share that I keep procrastinating! Yes, I need to keep things simple now because the chaos of back to school time is upon us! Thanks for stopping by!

2. September 3, 2019 / 9:44 am

I love your transitional look. I find that in-between time pretty easy — lots of seasonal fruits, nuts, sunflowers and hydrangeas that are now turning green and time to bring out the copper and wood. I love the look of the white pitcher filled with blooms and you are spot-on about opening the windows!

September 3, 2019 / 9:49 am

Thank you, Jeanie! You’re right, the seasonal flowers and food actually do make it easy to decorate! Have a great day!

3. rawsonjl
    September 3, 2019 / 10:21 am

Very pretty! I just love Hydrangeas but there is nothing left in bloom in our yard at all. We’ve had several very cool nights already… fall seems to be coming early this year.

September 3, 2019 / 10:41 am

Thank you! Our hydrangeas are still hanging in there… Have a great week!

4. Kris@Junkchiccottage
    September 3, 2019 / 11:01 am

Shelly,
    Your home is so beautiful. I love all the light that comes in your house with those great windows. Hope you had a great holiday weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

September 3, 2019 / 11:06 am

Thank you so much, Kris! I do love this time of year. Hope you enjoyed your weekend as well. Thanks for stopping by!

5. September 3, 2019 / 11:53 am

You have such a beautiful and light filled home, Shelley! I love how you have the mix of hydrangeas and shells along with the sunflowers. They’re all so pretty. It’s the perfect way to wind down the lazy days of summer before welcoming all things Fall. Hugs, CoCo

September 3, 2019 / 12:33 pm

Thanks Coco! This is my first year having hydrangeas in my yard so I am excited to decorate with them! Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your week!

6. September 3, 2019 / 11:58 am

Love all of your vignettes. My favorite is the pop of yellow with the sunflowers amongst your blue and white china!

September 3, 2019 / 12:37 pm

Thank you so much, Angelina! As much as I love neutrals, I can never get enough of blue and white no matter what the season! Thanks for hopping over!

7. September 3, 2019 / 12:00 pm

I love that you still have shells on your coffee table. Fall is my very favorite season because the days are still hot and the beaches are empty.

Reading your post got me thinking that fall is different for people around the country. I won’t go “full pumpkin” until mid October because then I’ll be decorating for Halloween and Thanksgiving.

September 8, 2019 / 6:02 pm

Thanks, Carol! The beaches in NJ are beautiful in September. Too bad our schedules are too busy to visit them! I don’t go full pumpkin until October either….although I do sneak in a few little white ones here and there as we get deeper into September. Thanks again for stopping by with your kind comment!

8. September 3, 2019 / 1:05 pm

Your home is beautiful Shelley. I cannot imagine being able to open the windows around here this time of year. You are one lucky girl! Great tips. Enjoy that pool!

September 3, 2019 / 1:18 pm

Thank you, Cindy! So far, we only open our windows in the mornings or evenings. It still gets pretty hot during the day. Thanks again for hopping by!

9. September 3, 2019 / 3:19 pm

Shelley I love visiting your home, you have it styled so beautifully. I planted hydrangeas as well but I wish I would of planted Limelights instead of Endless Summers. But both are pretty. Love your touches of Fall.

September 3, 2019 / 3:34 pm

Thanks so much, Terrie…such a sweet comment! I don’t know the different types of hydrangeas because our landscaper put them in. I just hope I can keep them alive! Thanks again for stopping by!

10. Rita C.
    September 3, 2019 / 4:12 pm

Shelley, I think you’ve got the secret to transitioning seasons – take it nice and slow, and enjoy the little things like real breezes and flowers, not the faux kind. Your home looks so inviting, and that classic blue & white with the pops of golden yellow is perfect. Happy September!

September 3, 2019 / 5:16 pm

Thank you for your sweet comment, Rita! I think sometimes we forget to appreciate those little things…I am trying, though! Happy September to you!

11. September 3, 2019 / 4:28 pm

Hydrangea and sunflowers are perfect for early fall decorating…yours are so pretty in your lovely home!

September 3, 2019 / 5:18 pm

Thanks, Linda! Flowers really do liven up a space, don’t they? Have a wonderful week!

12. September 3, 2019 / 5:17 pm

I always love visiting your home Shelley. You have added so many wonderful fall touches! I love the addition of the shells and hydrangeas.

September 3, 2019 / 5:20 pm

Thanks, Laura! There really is so much to work with this time of year! Thanks for stopping by!

13. September 3, 2019 / 9:17 pm

I love your calm and neutral color scheme for this time of year. I think it is perfect for transitioning between the seasons. I know it looks like I had a lot of color in my post, but around the rest of the house I had to declutter and “neutralize” everything before I can even think about adding all of the colors of fall. I am just not ready for that yet. I might even continue with a muted, neutral fall theme in the living room because I am craving simplicity right now.

Your trio of hydrangeas in the glass vases is perfection! Everything you shared looks so pretty and your home sees so welcoming and beautiful.

Thanks so much for hopping with us!

September 3, 2019 / 10:12 pm

Thank you, Amber! I agree, it helps to clear out and “neutralize” before the colorful decorating can begin. I know most of us go all out decorating in the fall in winter so it’s nice to have a little calm before the “storm”. Thanks again for hosting this awesome blog hop!

14. September 3, 2019 / 9:45 pm

Hi Kelly! I love your home and your simple neutral summer-to-fall touches throughout – it gives your home such warm and welcoming vibes! So happy to be hopping with you!

September 3, 2019 / 10:15 pm

Thanks so much, Michelle! I like to keep it simple this time of year. Before long, I will be lugging up all those bins from the basement for the upcoming holidays! Great to be hopping with you too!

15. September 3, 2019 / 11:32 pm

I love the simplicity of your decor this time of year. Sunflowers and Hydrangeas just go together and the basket filled with seasonal accessories is such a wonderful idea. LOVE your navy and white dining room!

September 4, 2019 / 8:55 am

Thanks so much, Debra! I definitely like to keep it simple this time of year…and I guess you can’t go wrong with flowers anytime! Thanks again and have a great week!

16. September 4, 2019 / 2:00 am

Shelley,
    Hydrangeas are perfect for every season in my mind, and I love how you continued to use yours for this transitional time of the year. I cut some of my mine to bring into the house to enjoy while they dry. Glimpses of your pool in the bright sunshine looks so cool and inviting these last days of official summertime.

Judith

September 4, 2019 / 8:57 am

I need to let some of my hydrangeas dry out too. I always love when people display dried arrangements. Thanks for your sweet comment! So nice to hop with you!

17. September 4, 2019 / 11:25 am

Hi Shelley, your home is gorgeous inside and out! Loving the rich yellow and blue tones in your dining room. You’re right those colors really do pop! I wish our hydrangeas were as pretty as yours. We planted some this year too but maybe next year they’ll do better. Happy September!

18. September 4, 2019 / 11:59 am

Shelley, I got lots of ideas from your post because we have some similar elements in our homes! We have wood flooring and light colored cabinets in our kitchen, and I also have a dark blue formal dining room. I actually was considering buying some chinoiserie for that room, and then I saw your collection here! The yellow flowers look great in that room. Love hopping with you.

19. Jann Olson
    September 4, 2019 / 3:58 pm

Flowers are perfect for a subtle fall touch. I love the sunflowers!
    hugs,
    Jann

20. September 4, 2019 / 4:01 pm

Shelley, love your soft easing into fall. The blue and white mixed with the bright yellow is always such a winner. We are weeks away from having weather cool enough to open windows. Is t it wonderful to have those fall breezes?

21. September 5, 2019 / 12:34 pm

Shelley, your floral accents are so pretty–the hydrangeas are my favorite! Happy almost fall! Blessings, Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

22. September 5, 2019 / 2:08 pm

Shelley, I love all your beautiful ways you used hydrangeas and sunflowers in your transitioning decor. Very subtle and lovely. I also get you about the opening and closing of the windows. We’re there, too!

23. September 5, 2019 / 10:00 pm

I always love your style, Shelley! The hydrangeas look great – I especially like the single blooms, and nothing says end of summer like sunflowers, which are so pretty with your blue and white!

24. September 5, 2019 / 10:05 pm

The hydrangeas are definitely the stars this time of year, aren’t they? Yours are lovely. Pick flowers as long as you can, I say!

25. Debbie- Dabble
    September 6, 2019 / 8:52 am

Shelley,
    Love the style of your home!! Very pretty! Great changes to transition in to Fall!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

September 6, 2019 / 8:57 am

Thanks so much, Debbie! Love this time of year…(once I get over missing summer!)

26. September 11, 2019 / 6:52 pm

Thank you for sharing at #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too!

27. September 11, 2019 / 6:58 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick at #ThursdayFavoriteThings this week. Visit me at https://www.marilynstreats.com on thursday morning to see your feature! All hosts choose their own features from the comments left on their blog so be sure to return to my blog to see your feature. I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon. Please don’t forget to add your link numbers or post title so we can be sure to visit!

28. September 12, 2019 / 7:08 pm

Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too!

29. September 14, 2019 / 9:10 pm

Oh my goodness, we have such similar ideas with the neutrals, and I have a dining room with blue walls and lots of blue and white porcelains, too! It is so delightful that you can open the windows and let the cooler breezes in. Alas, in Florida we won’t have cool breezes for quite some time! The punch of yellow color with the sunflowers is delightful!