Summer Entertaining – New Patio and Pool

Just because the calendar says August, doesn’t mean summer is over yet…

Today, I am sharing my outdoor summer entertaining spaces for a “Summer Celebration” Blog Hop along with a talented group of bloggers!

Before we get started, I want to thank Amber from Follow the Yellow Brick Home for hosting our blog hop!  Amber has a lovely home and always does an amazing job of decorating for the seasons.  Be sure to hop over and say hello.

If you are just arriving from the lovely blog, The Crowned Goat…..Welcome!  I am sure you enjoyed Coco’s beautiful lavender topiary post!

At the end of this post, you will find a list of all the participants in the blog hop.  Be sure to visit as many as you can for tons of Summer Celebration ideas!  Let’s get started…

Summer Celebration

*Please also note that this post contains affiliate links.  I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my links below (with no additional cost to you).

Summer Entertaining – New Pool and Patio

Let’s “jump right in” to the newest addition to our backyard…

Pool and hot tub with waterfall

This year, we completely transformed our backyard from an unused lawn and falling apart deck, to a new pool and patio!  As soon as we have the last few things completed, I will share a full before and after.  For now though, I will take you around to the highlights of the new space.  As you can see, we had a free form pool put in.  After years of “negotiating” (with the boys and I), my husband finally caved and agreed to a pool.  My boys are teens now and we are becoming painfully aware at how fast the years are blowing by.  Essentially, it was now or never…so we went for it!

pool waterfall with stacked stone

Basically, if you love summer entertaining, put in a pool.  As soon as the pool was completed, we’ve had people over our house almost constantly.  It has made me love summer more than ever!  Although we had a very rainy spring in New Jersey, the summer has been sunny and hot…so perfect for swimming!  Also, we plan to use the hot tub on those cooler summer nights.  Since the pool wasn’t finished until July, I think we will keep everything open through October.  By then, there will definitely be some cooler nights.  Let’s hope we don’t get any snow though!  One year, we had snow right before Halloween!

Spaces for the Whole Family

Since there are four of us, I recently purchased these outdoor wicker chaise lounges.  Right now, the chairs are sitting out in the full sun but I plan on adding our large cantilever umbrella to the area for some much needed shade.  So far, my kids have enjoyed lounging around on the chairs after swimming.  My plan is to use this space for reading.  Though, I also have plans to hang out here in the afternoon with friends…and maybe some margaritas!  Fun for everyone!

Outdoor Wicker Lounge Chairs

Outdoor Wicker Chaise Lounge  /  Pottery Barn Striped Outdoor Pillows

Summer Entertaining – The Fire Pit

Speaking of fun…besides the pool, the most used back yard addition is our fire pit!  Seriously, I should own stock in marshmallows with all the bags I have purchased these past few weeks!

stacked stone firepit

Almost every night, the neighborhood kids are by the fire pit chatting, roasting marshmallows and having a great time.  For now, we are just using our plastic Adirondack chairs out there but I plan to buy some sturdier versions at some point.  For awhile, I went back and forth between purchasing dark gray chairs or white chairs but I think I am leaning towards the classic white.  Since the patio gets full sun, the white will stay cooler during the day plus I really love the look!

Summer entertaining at the stone fire pit with white adirondack chairs

Summer Entertaining – Outdoor Dining

Even when we had a deck, we loved eating outside.  Now that our outdoor eating area overlooks the pool, we love eating outside even more!  Of course, I also love when we grill on the patio.  Though I like to cook, it’s nice having my husband in charge of cooking dinner once in awhile.  Don’t worry, I don’t make him do all the work.  If he cooks, I clean up and vice versa…teamwork!

Recently, I set the table for a casual outdoor dinner.  As you can see, I kept the colors pretty neutral with a little splash of blue to complement the pool water.

Summer Entertaining alfresco

Luckily, my sealife outdoor pillows worked perfectly with the table setting…and the color of the pool!

Outdoor dining table with blue and white

As you can see, I coordinated the tan and white stripes on the place mats with the tan and white pillows on my other chairs.  Normally, I am attracted to brighter colors when I decorate.  Instead, for my outdoor areas, I decided to let the color of the pool be the center of attention…as it should be!

Summer Entertaining - place setting with hydrangea

For each place setting, I cut a single hydrangea stem from some of our new bushes.  Since our yard is usually full of deer, I was never able to have hydrangeas before.  Luckily, installing a pool fence took care of that problem!  Needless to say, I had my landscaper plant a whole bunch of hydrangeas in the flower beds.

Hydrangea on blue and white place setting

White dishessimilar blue checked napkins

I love the way the simple hydrangea stands out against the blue checked napkin.  Now that I have all these flower bushes in my yard, I am looking forward to cutting them for arrangements in the future.  Hopefully, I can keep the plants alive though…I don’t exactly have a green thumb!

Thanks for stopping by to see my new outdoor summer entertaining areas!

**Next, be sure to visit First Day of Home for some mimosa bar ideas!

Also remember to visit each of participants on the tour for tons of summer celebration inspiration!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Thanks again for stopping by and enjoy the summer tour!

signature

Summer Entertaining - outdoor spaces
Joining these parties:
My Life Abundant – Wonderful Wednesday  My Wee Abode – Tuesday Turnaround  Designthusiasm – Style Showcase Marilyn’s Treats – Thursday Favorite Things  Between Naps on the Porch – Tablescape Thursday  A Delightsome Life – Home and Garden Thursday   Pieced Pastimes – Saturday Sparks  The Sway – Saturday Sharefest  Finding Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sunday  DIY Showoff – Showoff and Share  Bluesky at Home – Happiness is Homemade  Marilyn’s Treats – Over the Moon  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia – Inspire Me Monday  A Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me Tuesday  Follow the Yellow Brick Home – All About Home  The How To Home – Project Inspired link Party  Celebrate and Decorate – Celebrate Your Story  The Dedicated House – Make it Pretty Monday  Two Chicks and a Mom – Funtastic Friday  From Gardners to Bergers – The Handmade Hangout  Imparting Grace – Grace at Home  Two Chicks and a Mom – Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make

1. paulasweetpea
    August 6, 2019 / 7:56 am

What a wonderful addition to your backyard, Shelley! I know that your family has enjoyed this space so much this summer.

August 6, 2019 / 8:23 am

Thanks so much, Paula! Yes, we have been enjoying the backyard and pool even more than we imagined. Normally, we spend a lot of time at the beach but this year we chose to stay home more!

2. August 6, 2019 / 9:27 am

What a lovely retreat area!!! If you see a stranger enjoying your back yard, don’t be alarmed, it will only be ME!!

August 6, 2019 / 9:37 am

Ha – thanks! It’s not quite finished yet so I had to “strategically” take my photos. We are enjoying every minute of it and none of us want summer to end! Thanks for stopping by!

3. August 6, 2019 / 9:58 am

Shelley your pool and patio are GORGEOUS. I know you are really enjoying it. Nothing like a pool for tons of family and friends fun. Enjoy.

August 6, 2019 / 11:58 am

Thanks so much, Marty! I’ve admired your beautiful pool ever since you installed it. As you can guess, we are happy we made the decision to go for it. It really adds so much entertaining space to the home and I love being the house where all the kids hang out now. Makes it much easier to know what they are doing!

4. August 6, 2019 / 10:16 am

Wow, Shelley–I officially have pool envy after seeing your gorgeous outdoor space. 😉 What a relaxing retreat for celebrating summer! Blessings, Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

August 6, 2019 / 1:59 pm

Thank you, Cecilia! We have been in our house for 20 years so we were definitely ready for a change. Needless to say, we didn’t take any family vacations this summer!

5. Diane
    August 6, 2019 / 10:31 am

You will LOVE having a pool in your own backyard—and is it stunning by the way! We had our pool built in 2006 and it is now a magnet for our five grandchildren.There is nothing like walking a few steps out the door to a backyard oasis. So happy for your family!

August 6, 2019 / 2:02 pm

Thank you, Diane! It really does make a difference when you can walk right out the door. We used to belong to a pool so it’s nice not to drag all the bags, towels, etc out anymore. My kids are beyond thrilled!

6. August 6, 2019 / 11:15 am

Shelley, this outdoor patio space is stunning! It’s like you’re on vacation and don’t even have to leave home. I love the outdoor furniture you chose and your tablescape is really pretty too. I know you’re going to be busy before school starts with lots of sleepover and outdoor dinners. The whole space is totally fabulous! Hugs, CoCo

August 6, 2019 / 2:05 pm

What a sweet comment, Coco. Thank you so much! It’s a good thing it feels like a vacation because we won’t be taking one for awhile -lol! Yes, the kids are definitely enjoying it…summers go way too fast. Thanks again!

August 6, 2019 / 2:03 pm

Thanks so much, Katie!

7. Chloe Crabtree
    August 6, 2019 / 2:03 pm

Wow! This is the best way to celebrate summer! Yay! What a fantastic new and way improved backyard! Just what I would love in my backyard!!

August 6, 2019 / 2:08 pm

Thank you! It’s definitely an improvement over our falling down deck! The whole area is getting a lot of use this summer…I don’t think we’ve ever entertained this much!

8. August 6, 2019 / 2:35 pm

What a beautiful pool! You must be so excited. Your pictures of it are perfect.

Liberty @ B4andAfters.com

August 6, 2019 / 3:25 pm

Thanks, Liberty! We are really enjoying it!

9. August 6, 2019 / 3:29 pm

Shelley what a magnificent addition to your home! Wow!

August 6, 2019 / 3:44 pm

Thanks so much, Debbee! We are out there all the time now! Thanks for stopping by to check out my summer celebration post!

10. August 6, 2019 / 4:14 pm

Wowza! I want to take a dip in that new pool! I love the extra landing in the water. Such a great design. We have no room for a pool in our backyard. Honestly, if we did, it would be called a puddle. Enjoy the rest of your summer. I bet you are super tan and I am super jealous!

August 6, 2019 / 6:29 pm

Ha…too funny. I wish I was super tan but as I get older, I am very conscious about sunscreen. Hopefully, it will make up for all those years of laying in the sun with Hawaiian Tropic Oil! Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I didn’t go into many details about the pool yet, but yes, that sundeck should be fun once I get some chairs for it. I never realized how expensive those “Ledge Loungers” are though! Maybe they will have an end of the season sale!

11. August 6, 2019 / 6:23 pm

Oh my goodness, this is beyond AMAZING!! just beautiful. Yes, have fun with your family while the kids are still living at home, it’s a great way to keep track of them and their friends!

August 6, 2019 / 6:34 pm

Thanks so much, Debra! The only thing I didn’t consider was how I would need to constantly watch them while they are in the pool. Even though they are 13 and 15, and our pool only goes to 6 feet, I like to be nearby when they are in the pool. So, I have moved my computer to the kitchen table so I can watch outside. Boys can get so crazy when they get together! Thanks again for stopping by!

12. August 6, 2019 / 8:49 pm

From what I can see, it looks like you have done everything just right with your pool and patio area. Love the natural rock and blue tile. So classic and will stay in style. I’m so glad you finished early enough to be able to enjoy this summer. So beautiful Shelley!!

August 6, 2019 / 9:33 pm

Thanks, Michelle! I definitely tried to go with classic and I second guessed myself several times with the tile. I couldn’t decide if I wanted it to blend in with the pavers or highlight the water. In the end, I decided that you can’t go wrong with blue in a pool so I am glad you think it will stay in style. Our pool didn’t get finished until the beginning of July but we are making up for lost time now! Thanks again for your lovely comments!

13. August 6, 2019 / 9:41 pm

Shelley your pool and entertaining area are swoonworthy! How exciting! I absolutely love your outdoor pillows and table setting. I think the calmer summer colors are so classic and really allow the pool to steal the show. How lucky you are to have your own private dream oasis. I hope you have many more days of perfect summer weather to enjoy it all!

Thank you so much for celebrating summer with us!

August 7, 2019 / 9:33 am

Awe, thanks Amber! Yes, the pool is definitely stealing the show this summer. My kids don’t want to be anywhere else! Thanks again for hosting the blog hop…so much inspiration!

14. August 7, 2019 / 2:19 am

How wonderful to have that gorgeous pool to enjoy with your family.

And, I really like your table setting.

August 7, 2019 / 9:36 am

Thanks so much, Carol! I hope you are enjoying your summer as much as we are. Great hopping with you again!

15. rawsonjl
    August 7, 2019 / 5:55 am

Oh wow! That is a gorgeous space. I’ve always wanted a pool but living on the lake makes it seem pretty redundant (though I don’t swim in the lake and would actually use a pool). I bet your kids are loving it!

August 7, 2019 / 9:38 am

Yes, the kids are definitely loving it! Thanks so much for your sweet comment. I hope you are enjoying every last minute of summer!

16. August 7, 2019 / 1:55 pm

Shelley, What an amazing addition to your home! Yes, you need to enjoy these days when your boys are still home and want their friends over; so glad you did it now! I love the free form style of your pool and the little waterfall. I seriously wouldn’t get anything done if I could just hang out and float there all day! Enjoy!

August 7, 2019 / 9:13 pm

Thank you, Lora! I haven’t gotten much done lately…so I guess I will just blame it on the pool! Yes, I am glad we didn’t wait any longer to put in the pool. I think my kids really appreciate it now and I get to keep an eye on everyone since they are at our house!

17. August 7, 2019 / 11:56 pm

Shelley, I’m so glad your husband caved! The pool looks soooo inviting! We weren’t looking for a pool when we bought our house, but I’m so thrilled we ended up with one. You’re right…it does lead to a lot more entertaining, especially in the summer. Enjoy the rest of your swimming days!

August 8, 2019 / 8:15 am

Thanks, Crissy! Even though I knew I always wanted a pool, I didn’t realize we’d love it this much! Not only are we swimming all the time but we are just outside more! Thanks for stopping by and enjoy these wonderful summer days!

18. thetatteredpew
    August 8, 2019 / 10:47 am

Oh Shelley your new pool and backyard space is just beautiful! I would never want to leave! I bet you are always outside now…making new memories!

August 8, 2019 / 11:19 am

Awe thanks, Kelly! Yes, we have been outside more than ever! We really didn’t use our backyard much before so the pool opened up a whole new world for us. Thank you for your kind comment!

19. August 10, 2019 / 12:06 pm

Wow Shelly – your new pool and backyard is stunning! If it was mine, I’d be floating around in the pool all summer and never get anything done. And I don’t see that as a bad thing – like you said, time goes by so fast and you have to enjoy the moment! So happy to be hopping with you!

August 11, 2019 / 8:57 am

Thank you so much, Michelle! Yes, we’ve been in the pool almost every day and I definitely am not getting much done around the house! That’s totally fine with me though…summer is so short and we are trying to embrace every moment. Have a wonderful week and always great to hop with you too!

20. August 11, 2019 / 9:50 am

Shelley, your new pool is gorgeous. You will love having one; they are definitely kid magnets. We’ve always enjoyed having a pool. Such a fun place to spend time and decorate. Your table setting fits in the scenery so well.

August 12, 2019 / 11:56 am

Thank you for your lovely comment, Carol! Yes, “kid magnets” are a good way to describe swimming pools. We have definitely seen that happening here…and we love it! Thanks again and have a great week!

21. Julie Briones
    August 12, 2019 / 1:56 am

Just gorgeous, Shelly! Great photography and so much outdoor inspiration! Love the blues/tans you’ve incorporated throughout! Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Turn About… be sure to visit this Tuesday, too!

August 12, 2019 / 12:01 pm

What a sweet comment! Thank you so much, Julie! Looking forward to your party this week!

22. August 12, 2019 / 11:24 am

Your yard has been transformed into a resort Shelley. It is more than a family area. Thank you for sharing at #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too!

August 12, 2019 / 12:05 pm

Thanks, Marilyn! What a nice thing to say! We are definitely enjoying it with this gorgeous summer weather. As always, I appreciate the pinning and sharing. Have a wonderful week!

23. August 12, 2019 / 8:39 pm

Oh my goodness, you’ve created the most wonderful space out there!!! The patio, the pool, the firepit… gosh, it’s all so pretty!! Well done my friends! keep on enjoying it.

August 12, 2019 / 10:36 pm

Thanks so much, Cristina! It really has extended our entertaining space…we’ve spent so much time outdoors this summer! Hope you are enjoying your summer as well!

24. August 14, 2019 / 2:03 pm

Many congrats to you and your family! It’s a beautiful outdoor living space.

August 14, 2019 / 2:13 pm

Thanks so much, Michelle! With my kids already teens, I am painfully aware at how fast time is going. We are trying to spend as much time together out there!

25. August 16, 2019 / 7:14 pm

Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too!

26. August 18, 2019 / 6:12 pm

Your new pool and backyard look beautiful!! We built our pool last year but it wasn’t ready until late Fall so we started suing it for the first time this Summer and it’s been so fun!