Simple Holiday Decor for the Door and Porch

Have you decorated your front door for the holidays?  Well, if you are looking for ideas, we’ve got plenty for you here…

Today, I’m joining 19 creative bloggers for the Christmas Door Decor Blog Hop!  For my stop on the tour, I hope to inspire you with my simple holiday decor for the door and porch.

simple holiday decor

Before we get started, I want to thank Amber from Follow the Yellow Brick Home for hosting this festive holiday blog hop!  If you don’t already follow Amber, be sure to visit her blog (1st stop on the blog hop) to see her beautiful Christmas door decor ideas.

*If you are just arriving from Carol’s blog, Art and Sand …Welcome!  I am sure you were inspired by Carol’s holiday door decor.  She always decorates with the prettiest colors!

At the end of this post, you will find a list of all the participants in the blog hop.  Visit as many as you can for tons of holiday door inspiration!  Let’s get started…

Christmas Door Decor Blog hop

*Please also note that this post contains affiliate links.  If you make a purchase after clicking my links below, I will receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you).

Simple Holiday Decor for the Door and Porch

When I decorate my home for Christmas, I usually start at the entrance.  After all, that is the first place we greet our guests!

Christmas wreath on black front door - Simple Holiday Decor

Simple wreath on a black door

For many years, I would buy a fresh Christmas wreath for my front door.  Sure, it’s nice to have fresh greens but after some time, the needles start falling and we end up throwing the wreath out at the end of the season…plus they aren’t cheap!

One year, I decided to try a faux wreath instead and now I haven’t gone back to fresh.  It’s just so much easier to take it down and store until next year.  From a distance you can’t tell it’s faux.  Actually, it’s even hard to tell up close.  For a new look, I change the bow each year…couldn’t be easier.

Simple Christmas porch
To fill in the area around the door, I brought out my mini Christmas trees.  Sometimes, I put them in my black urns but this year I just set them out there in the stands.  As you can see above, it was snowing when I did this so I didn’t want to stay out there too long.  Also, I added a few additional red ornaments and attached bows to match the bow on the wreath.

Simple Accessories

When you are decorating outdoors, it’s best to keep the accessories simple.  You don’t want to put anything outside that will get ruined from the weather.  This black deer is perfect because it’s plastic and coordinates with the black on the door.
Simple Christmas porch with black deer
More red and black ties in with the rest of the porch.
holiday porch with welcome mat
Although I still plan to buy a Christmas door mat, this Home Sweet Home one works just fine!
simple holiday decor - black boots
Then I added more black to the other side of the porch.  Of course, rain boots always make a great accessory for holiday decorating.  Just throw in a little greenery and the boots become extra festive!
simple holiday decor - bells
Speaking of festive, I hung some simple bells from Michael’s in the middle of the wreath.  I like the way they fill the space and how they stand out against the door.

Dogs in Decor

One last idea…if you have a dog, try posing her on the porch for a Christmas photo…
simple holiday porch with golden retriever
Unfortunately, my dog, Rosie had a bit of an attitude when I tried to pose her.  Doesn’t it look like she’s giving me a dirty look?  For some reason, I even attempted to make her wear a Santa hat.
Obviously, that didn’t go over well…
golden retriever in snow
After chasing her around the yard a bit, I finally got one quick pose from her…
Golden Retriever in santa hat
Yeah, I think she’s my favorite holiday accessory!

Thanks for stopping by to see my simple holiday porch decor!

I have provided sources below for your convenience.  Please note that this post contains some affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking my links.

Holiday Porch Sources:

**Next, be sure to visit White Arrows Home to see all of Kristin’s beautiful wreaths.

Also, please remember to visit each of participants on the tour for tons of holiday inspiration!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Once again, here is the full list of participants in the Christmas Door Decor Blog Hop:

Follow The Yellow Brick HomeCommon GroundDecor To AdoreOur Southern HomeCounty Road 407Let’s Add SprinklesBotanic BleuMy Thrift Store AddictionThe Crowned GoatVirginia Sweet PeaThistle Key LaneItsy Bits and PiecesBelle Bleu Interiors/  Art and SandCalypso In The CountryWhite Arrows HomeCelebrate and DecorateHave A Daily Cup of Mrs. OlsonCloches and LavenderWelch House 1900

Do you decorate with fresh or faux greenery for the holidays?

Follow along so you don’t miss a post!

PinterestInstagram / Facebook / Twitter

Simple Holiday Porch Decor

Joining these blog parties:

Jodie Fitz – Reader Tip Tuesday, My Life Abundant – Wonderful WednesdayMy Wee Abode – Tuesday Turnaround, A Delightsome Life – Home and Garden Thursday, Imparting Grace – Grace at Home, Marilyn’s Treats – Thursday Favorite Things

1. Rita C.
    December 3, 2019 / 7:54 am

Shelley, your porch looks great, but those photos of Rosie are the absolute best. Attitude at its best, lol! Merry December!

December 3, 2019 / 11:26 am

Thanks, Rita! Yes, Rosie definitely has an attitude…such a diva! Cheers to December!

2. December 3, 2019 / 7:54 am

It looks lovely! I think now some of the faux wreaths are as convincing up close as the real ones. This sure looks like a nice one. And I love your dog — good job finally acing the hat. I can’t seem to get one to stay on Lizzie, so kudos!

December 3, 2019 / 11:29 am

Thank you, Jeanie! Although I love a real wreath, this one has made my life so much easier! And that hat only stayed on her for 2 seconds! Ha! Thanks for stopping by!

3. December 3, 2019 / 8:42 am

Your Christmas front porch looks great! I love your wreath (it definitely looks like a fresh one) and the plastic deer who is wearing a tartan scarf. Rosie steals the show. I love seeing her posing for you.

December 3, 2019 / 11:32 am

Always fun to pose the dogs at Christmas! Thanks Paula! I was hoping for more snow when I took the pics yesterday but we didn’t get as much as predicted. Oh well! Enjoy your week!

4. Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors
    December 3, 2019 / 9:49 am

Shelley, your porch looks beautiful adorned for the holidays! I thought the wreath was real, and I love the deer! He is so striking. Rosie is an absolute doll! I think she would be my favorite holiday accessory, too! Happy Holidays, sweet friend!!!

December 3, 2019 / 11:35 am

Thank you, Shannon! It’s nice to have at least one area decorated now. Yeah, that Rosie is fun to dress up…ha! Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday!

5. December 3, 2019 / 9:52 am

Three cheers for Rosie! My dog Rudi HATES to be photographed. Whitle Gracie is a camera hog. I LOVE the red and black. So elegant. May your days be merry and bright!

December 3, 2019 / 11:37 am

Thanks, Laura! Yeah, Rosie pretends to dislike being photographed (and dressed up) but I think she secretly likes it! Enjoy the holiday season!

6. December 3, 2019 / 10:20 am

Your wreath is so pretty Shelley and I love the rest of your porch decor as well. It’s so fun to see all the snow on the ground too. I have to say Rose is perfection! These shots are all cute, even the one where she looks a little sassy ha ha. She’s way too cute to be on the naughty list so I know she’ll be a treasure this holiday season. Hugs, CoCo

December 3, 2019 / 11:41 am

Awe, thanks Coco! Yes, it was nice having our first snow yesterday but we ended up with a lot less than predicted. My kids had a snow day so they were happy anyway! We definitely had a few laughs trying to get Rosie to pose…sassy is right – ha! Great hopping with you again!

7. December 3, 2019 / 10:29 am

What a great idea to use the rain boots as a part of the decor…and Rosie the dog too! I love the classic look of your front porch!

December 3, 2019 / 11:42 am

Thanks Tanya! I’ll be wearing those rain boots today with all the slush… Thanks again for your sweet comment.

8. December 3, 2019 / 1:49 pm

I love the decor on your porch! It’s classic and inviting. And I’ll take Rosie and chase her all around. She’s precious! Thanks for your help today too. I appreciate you!

December 3, 2019 / 2:04 pm

Thanks, Cindy! I was hoping for a little more snow so I could show the porch from a distance but I ended up just having slushy footprints all over- (Rosie’s and mine). And she loves to be chased…it’s the whole reason she steals things. Glad I could help on the email today. Enjoy your week!

9. December 3, 2019 / 1:51 pm

I love the pic of your dog.

I love your ribbon and your styling of your porch. I bought those same bells at Michael’s and might have to try them in a wreath.

December 3, 2019 / 2:06 pm

Thank you, Carol! I had those bells laying around from last year and I finally figured out what to do with them. Great hopping with you!

10. December 3, 2019 / 4:32 pm

Rosie looks very bitter! haha. She is precious. I love your front porch. The ribbon on those bells is darling!

December 3, 2019 / 4:43 pm

Thank you, Katie! Yes, Rosie is just a bit spoiled…lol. Thanks for stopping by!

11. December 3, 2019 / 6:21 pm

Shelley your wreath and porch look classic and festive! I was admiring those bells at Michael’s while shopping this past weekend. I love the red and black houndstooth ribbon and the black plastic Reindeer is perfect. I have ruined many pillows and decorations by using things that weren’t intended for the outdoors.

Your sweet doggie is an adorable addition to your beautiful holiday home!

Thank you for joining the hop. Merry Christmas!

December 3, 2019 / 6:28 pm

Thanks so much, Amber! Good to know they are carrying the bells again this year….maybe I’ll buy more! Luckily, I was able to get one good shot with the Santa hat on…ha! Thanks again for hosting this wonderful blog hop!

12. December 3, 2019 / 9:38 pm

This is so pretty, Shelley! Love the black and red colors…and those wonderful bells!

December 4, 2019 / 7:15 am

Thanks Linda! I was worried the wind might make them bang against the door but luckily they’ve been quiet so far.

13. December 3, 2019 / 9:46 pm

Love your beautifully decorated porch! Outstanding! And Rosie… is adorable!

December 4, 2019 / 7:16 am

Thanks Nancy! At least one area is done for Christmas…including the dog – ha!

14. December 4, 2019 / 7:25 am

Gorgeous wreath Shelley! Thanks so much for sharing Rosie with us. She is so pretty and such a good sport being Santa’s helper!

December 4, 2019 / 9:27 am

Thanks Michelle! Yes, Rosie always has to get involved!

15. December 4, 2019 / 10:15 pm

Shelley, I have to say a black door is so classic and has always been my favorite. I love all your red/black accessories, and the red plaid simple bow is perfect. Love your sweet doggy, she looks great in her Santa gear!

December 5, 2019 / 7:42 am

Thanks, Debra. Yes, I have always been happy with having a black door as a background. And my little Santa girl thanks you… So nice to hop with you!

16. December 5, 2019 / 6:42 pm

I love that look on your dogs face. As if he’s saying “are we done yet”

December 5, 2019 / 9:02 pm

Yes, I am sure I drive her crazy!