Plantation Shutters – The Latest Update to the Family Room

My family room has gone through some changes over the past few years.  The most recent change just happened Friday, with the addition of plantation shutters!

Plantation Shutters

Let’s take a look back at what the room looked like a couple years ago…

Family Room Before Renovation

We had white wall to wall carpeting, wood blinds, an oak fireplace mantel and the walls were painted Benjamin Moore, Monroe Bisque.

Then we decided to renovate our kitchen and in the process, tore out the carpeting in the family room.

Family Room During Renovation

The plan also included a fireplace update.

Family Room in Progress

This photo was taken right before the fireplace was removed.

As you can see, we had hardwood floors installed…

Family Room with Hardwood Floors Installed (before staining)

The new fireplace was also in process at this point.

Of course, AFTER we had the hardwood floors installed, my husband finally realized that I was right about the half wall being removed…so we had it taken down.  More details on that here – Renovation Progress – The Half Wall.

Half Wall Removal

As you can see, that removal really opened up the kitchen into the family room!

Half Wall - Before and After

It would have been cheaper if my husband listened to me from the start!

Then the stone on the fireplace went up.  You can read all the details on that here – My Fireplace Before and After.

Stone Fireplace Progress

We compromised on the stone color.  I think if it had been just up to me, I would have gone a little lighter.  Oh well…

Red Oak Floors - Stained Minwax Provincial

Then we lived through the toxic fume nightmare of floor staining.

But I was happy with the color of those.

Family Room in Progress

And even happier when we had our furniture back in the room!  We also changed the paint color from Monroe Bisque to Manchester Tan…

I hadn’t decided on a rug but needed something so my golden retriever, Rosie wouldn’t slip when she jumped off her chair…

Ballard Designs Rug

I temporarily brought in the Ballard indoor-outdoor rug that I used to have under my kitchen table.

Indoor Outdoor Rug

It’s obviously too small for the room but at least it’s something until I make a rug decision.  I also bought a new coffee table from Pottery Barn which you can see above.

Then a few days ago, we took down the blinds to prepare for the new plantation shutters!

Wall of Windows - before plantation shutters were installed

Of course, it was a beautiful, sunny day and I started to panic that maybe I didn’t want to cover up my pretty windows!

Wall of Windows in Family Room before Plantation Shutters installed

As much as I loved all the light and the view, I knew that with the TV on the opposite wall, we had to cover the windows to deal with the glare.

Then Friday, the plantation shutters were installed!

Plantation Shutters on Wall of Windows

I was thrilled with the result and couldn’t have been happier with the company we chose.  This is NOT a sponsored post and I am not being compensated in any way to mention them but we ordered the shutters through Sunburst Shutters.  I have worked with them before in both my master bathroom and guest bathroom and have been happy each time.  Everyone I dealt with was professional.  They were on time the day they measured and even called to see if they could come earlier on the install day.  I think the shutters were even ready before the estimated 5-6 weeks.

I love the way the shutters filter the light and how easy they are to open and close.  Obviously, I do not miss having all those messy strings hanging the way they used to with the wood blinds.  I feel like the room seems more polished now.

Plantation Shutters in Family Room

And now my next step is new furniture!  I plan to buy a new couch, chair or chairs and a new rug.  I swear I am never going to be done with this room!

Thanks for stopping by to see my family room updates!

Do you decorate a room in steps or all at once?

Enjoy your week!

1. Ron
    October 24, 2016 / 10:28 am

Plantation Shutters are a great, classic look! Great choice.

2. Pepper Medley
    October 24, 2016 / 12:07 pm

Love it all…. every bit of it! You made great choices in everything you changed and must be amazingly happy with all of it. Congratulations!

3. Shannon @ Belle Bleu Interiors
    October 24, 2016 / 12:42 pm

Your plantation shutters look beautiful in your room! What a lovely addition. I added them to my house a few years ago and love them. They are so much easier to dust and take care of! I also wanted to say, I love your beautiful fireplace. You did a wonderful job on it! I hope that you have a wonderful day!!!

4. Judy Biggerstaff
    October 24, 2016 / 1:23 pm

Wow, love seeing your progress. The room looks beautiful and your shutters really finish it off. The fireplace really looks great too. We have been in our house a year and it has been a constant state of updating. Painting, new kitchen, lighting, ceiling fans, more painting so never ending projects for me. Thanks for sharing.

5. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life
    October 24, 2016 / 2:05 pm

That room is looking soooooo good. Love those shutters.

6. Lincuden Cottage Life
    October 24, 2016 / 4:43 pm

Your plantation shutters look amazing! Wonderful progress in the room!Rebeca

7. Tanya
    October 24, 2016 / 6:23 pm

Plantation shutters are such a classic look and never go out of style. I think they are all the window treatment that you need to get a really polished look. Looks great!

8. Stacey
    October 24, 2016 / 8:25 pm

So pretty! Shutters are the best! They are just so classic, so much easier to clean, and they look amazing with every style. Glad you were able to get them.

9. JoAnne
    October 24, 2016 / 9:03 pm

I've always loved plantation shutters. They look beautiful as does the rest of your room. I'm sure you're really enjoying it!

10. Pam Richardson
    October 25, 2016 / 3:06 am

Shelley, the shutters look fabulous…great choice! Your room is looking great!

11. Carol
    October 26, 2016 / 9:09 pm

Great decision to go with the plantation shutters, Shelley! They look amazing and just never go out of style. I was so happy when we bought this house and half the windows had shutters, which meant we only had to do the other half. And, no, you probably won't ever be finished with the room!Warm hugs,Carol

12. Debra Pashkowsky
    October 27, 2016 / 2:22 am

I love the room, everything about it. It looks so inviting and comfortable.

13. Anonymous
    October 27, 2016 / 8:23 pm

It is so cool to see the room transform. The shutters are a great addition.

14. Decor To Adore
    October 30, 2016 / 10:38 pm

Your room looks so great! I have been thinking about adding shutters to my kitchen area. You have inspired me. Have a wonderful weekend.

15. 50 Days Of No Grey
    November 3, 2016 / 10:52 pm

Such a great space! We have Manchester Tan in our family room and it's a great neutral. Plantation shutters are the best – I would have them in every room if I could. Enjoy your new space!

16. Christine Graves
    November 4, 2016 / 1:31 pm

Hubbys should always listen to the wife. I am glad you got your way! It looks fabulous. Thanks so much for joining us at the DI & DI Link party.