Vintage Valentine’s Day Vignettes

Happy February, everyone!  Today, I am excited to join a wonderful group of bloggers for a Vintage Valentine’s Day Blog Hop!  Thank you to Amber from Follow the Yellow Brick Home for hosting!  At the end of this post, you can find a list of all the participants in the blog hop.  Be sure to visit as many as you can for some creative Valentine ideas!

If you are just arriving from County Road 407 …Welcome!  I am sure you enjoyed Cindy’s beautiful table!  I adore her decorating style and her lovely blog!

Vintage Valentine's Day Blog Hop Promo

For my post, I decided to design two Valentine’s Day vignettes using flowers and a few vintage items…

vintage floral napkins

Beginning with my first vintage inspiration…these napkins.

A few years ago, my mother-in-law handed down these very special napkins to me.  Aren’t they beautiful?  She embroidered them herself and I am so honored to have them in my possession.  Since she created them when my husband was just a baby, they definitely count as vintage!  Although she gifted me a whole set, I chose the pink and white ones for my Valentine’s vignettes.

Pink Tulips in white pitcher

In my first vignette, I paired the napkins with pink tulips.

Of course, you have to have flowers for Valentines Day and you can’t go wrong with pink!  This look could work beyond Valentine’s Day into spring.  Ah, spring…the thought of it makes me smile after the frigid winter we’ve had so far!  For more tulip inspiration, be sure to read my ways to decorate with tulips post.

Besides the napkins, I knew I must have more vintage items around the house to work with.  After all, I have been married for 20 years so basically half of our things should be vintage by now!

My second inspiration – the silver bowl.

Not only is it a pretty piece, but it has special meaning to us.  The silver bowl belonged to my father-in-law who passed away a few years ago.  Engraved on the other side of the bowl is his name and an award he received back in the 70’s.

Since I thought it would look beautiful filled with flowers, I polished it up a bit and placed a grid of tape across the top.  This is an easy way to arrange flowers in a bowl without having to use floral foam.

silver bowl with tape across top for flowers

After the tape was in place, I simply cut some grocery store flowers down to size and placed them into the grid.  A fluffy hydrangea filled up a good portion of the arrangement and I used pink and purple flowers to fill in around it.  Of course, I must remember to keep it watered.

silver bowl with purple and pink flowers

Although, the flower arrangement makes a lovely centerpiece for the table, I decided to combine it with some other pieces for a vintage Valentine’s vignette…

pink and purple flowers and heart for Valentine's Day

Luckily, I also came across a pretty ceramic heart that my mom bought for me years ago.  A perfect addition to a Valentine’s Day vignette.

flowers and napkins on wood tray

From there,  I grouped everything together in a wood tray I recently bought at World Market.  We all love our trays, don’t we?

Framed I love you in Vintage Valentine Vignette

With the addition of some pearls and a framed “I Love You” heart, the 2nd Valentine’s Day vignette was complete.

valentine accessories on tray

Lots of love in this vignette…I think we are ready for Valentine’s Day!

Don’t you agree that sentimental items make decorating much more meaningful?  If you look around your home, I am sure you will find special pieces you can use in your decor.

Vintage Valentine Vignette - silver bowl with flowers

I hope you enjoyed my Vintage Valentine’s Day Vignettes!

Next, be sure to hop over to Bluesky at Home.  Carol always has so many creative ideas and I love her style.   I am sure she will inspire you as well!

Remember to visit each of participants on the tour for tons of beautiful vintage Valentine’s inspiration!

Blog Hop inspiration photos

Follow the Yellow Brick Home/A Stroll Thru Life/Let’s Add Sprinkles/Botanic Bleu

Vintage Valentine's Inspiration Photos

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson/Art and Sand/Itsy Bits and Pieces/Adirondack Girl at Heart/My Thrift Store Addiction

Valentine Photos for Blog Hop

Petite Haus/Virginia Sweet Pea/County Road 407/Calypso in the Country/Bluesky at Home

Vintage Valentines

The Crowned Goat/Thistle Key Lane/Lora Bloomquist/Le Cultivateur/Beauty for Ashes

Vintage Valentine Ideas

White Arrows Home/The Tattered Pew/Welch House 1900/Decorate and More with Tip/Belle Bleu Interiors

Thanks again for stopping by and enjoy the tour!

signature

Valentine's Day Ideas

Linking to these parties:

Inspiration for Moms – Inspiration Monday  My Pinterventures – Merry Monday  A Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me Tuesday  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia – Inspire Me Monday  Cedar Hill Farmhouse – The Scoop  Celebrate and Decorate – Celebrate Your Story  Sweet Parrish Place – Totally Terrific Tuesday  The How to Home – Project Inspired Link Party  My Life Abundant – Wonderful Wednesday  DIY by Design – Winter Blues Wednesday  Designthusiasm – Style Showcase  A Delightsome Life – Home and Garden Thursday  Imparting Grace – Grace at Home  French Country Cottage – Feathered Nest Friday  Marilyn’s Treats – Thursdays Favorite Things  From Gardners to Bergers – The Handmade Hangout  Pieced Pastimes – Saturday Sparks  The Sway – Saturday Sharefest  Across the Boulevard – Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make  Love of Home – Sundays at Home  Finding Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sunday  DIY Showoff – Showoff and Share  Bluesky at Home – Happiness is Homemade  Life and Linda – Dishing It and Digging It  Marilyn’s Treats – Over the Moon  Dwellings – Amaze Me Monday  Jodie Fitz – Reader Tip Tuesday  The Dedicated House – Make It Pretty Monday

1. February 4, 2019 / 8:55 am

This is so pretty. I adore tulips and they’re beautiful in that pitcher!

February 4, 2019 / 9:14 am

Thank you! I love tulips too…I wish they lasted longer!

2. February 4, 2019 / 10:30 am

Your vintage napkins are so pretty and a wonderful treasure knowing who made them. Happy Valentine’s Day Shelley!

February 4, 2019 / 10:49 am

Thanks, Michelle! Happy Valentine’s Day to you!

3. February 4, 2019 / 11:57 am

Oh, I love those pretty floral napkins! Lovely vignette! It makes my heart happy to be joining you on this hop! Blessings, Cecilia @My Thrift Store Addiction

February 4, 2019 / 12:21 pm

Thanks, Cecilia! Yes, those napkins really are special. Great hopping with you!

February 4, 2019 / 12:22 pm

Thanks Alice! Have a great week!

4. CoCo Tyre
    February 4, 2019 / 1:09 pm

Your flower arrangement is really beautiful and what a fun way to display them too. I know the napkins from your mother in law are such a special treasure. It’s super sweet of her to give them to you. Happy Valentine’s Day, CoCo

February 4, 2019 / 1:24 pm

Thank you so much, Coco! Yes, I felt so honored when she gave them to me. Really a special gift. Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your week!

5. February 4, 2019 / 1:11 pm

I loved your vignettes! Those napkins are fantastic! I never think to pick things up to use for later. Hmmm, I wonder if that means I’m narrow minded?! I hope not. Love hopping with you! Your blog is always so inspirational. 🙂

February 4, 2019 / 1:28 pm

Thank you, Cindy. What a sweet comment! Yes, I really do appreciate those napkins. They are so detailed and one of a kind! Great hopping with you!

6. paulasweetpea
    February 4, 2019 / 1:54 pm

Both vignettes are so pretty! It’s wonderful that you mother-in-law made those napkins and that she gave them to you. What a treasure to own and something that you can pass along one day to your boys. I need to treat myself to some grocery store flowers. You tulips in the white vase and the pretty arrangement that you made for your father-in-law’s silver bowl both looks so pretty. I’m loving getting so many great Valentine’s Day decorating ideas on this blog tour!

February 4, 2019 / 4:31 pm

Thank you, Paula! Yes, I was so touched that she decided to give them to me. I will definitely keep them stored so I can give them to our kids someday. This tour has been inspiring and so interesting to see what items people use to display. Such fun…great hopping with you!

7. February 4, 2019 / 1:54 pm

Your valentine’s decor is so pretty! Great tip about the tape for the floral display! Angelina

February 4, 2019 / 5:31 pm

Thank you, Angelina! The tape makes it so easy and everything stands up the way you want it. Thanks for stopping by!

8. February 4, 2019 / 2:14 pm

This is lovely, Shelley! I Love how you used special family pieces…the napkins are treasures! It’s been fun joining you on the hop!

February 4, 2019 / 5:33 pm

Thanks Linda! Family pieces really make things meaningful. Great hopping with you too!

9. February 4, 2019 / 3:23 pm

I’m so inspired by your flower arrangement! From the silver bowl to the trick of the tape to the flowers you chose! All so beautiful!

February 4, 2019 / 5:35 pm

Using the tape is so much easier than trying to fit a piece of floral foam in there…and everyone has tape! Thank you so much for your kind words. Enjoy your week!

10. thetatteredpew
    February 4, 2019 / 8:47 pm

I loved your vignettes! I especially loved the sentimental items you chose to include. THe flowers were beautiful my friend! Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 4, 2019 / 9:03 pm

Thank you so much. At first, I wasn’t sure if I even had anything vintage but it just took a little searching. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Valentine’s Day!

11. tanza erlambang
    February 5, 2019 / 4:04 am

so beautiful. love it
    have a great day

February 5, 2019 / 7:23 am

Thank you! Enjoy your day as well!

12. February 5, 2019 / 5:20 am

Beautiful vignette, the vintage feel is amazing and that floral is outstanding. Thanks for partying at Merry Monday!

February 5, 2019 / 7:26 am

Thanks Jenny! It’s always nice to decorate with meaningful items…and flowers of course!

13. February 5, 2019 / 4:01 pm

Such a beautiful tray display. The vintage hankies and that gorgeous heart box are so pretty with your flowers and pearls. Beautifully done.

February 5, 2019 / 7:24 pm

Thank you so much, Marty! It’s always great to find things around the house to use in decorating! Enjoy your week!

14. Jann Olson
    February 5, 2019 / 4:23 pm

Both your vignettes are beautiful! I love the addition of the sweet napkins. I would not have thought of that. Heirloom pieces are the best!
    hugs,
    Jann

February 5, 2019 / 7:36 pm

Yes, heirloom pieces are so great. It’s nice when our possessions have stories behind them. Thanks for your kind words.

15. February 5, 2019 / 4:26 pm

Your vignettes for Valentine’s are just so romantic and pretty!!I really need to go through my decor because I know I have items that I could use in these ways! Thanks so much for inspiring me beyond the traditional decor.

February 5, 2019 / 7:41 pm

Thank you Christy! I don’t think I would have thought to decorate with these pieces if it wasn’t for the blog hop. It forced me to really think about the things we have in our home. Thanks for your sweet comment!

16. February 6, 2019 / 12:08 am

Those napkins are absolutely gorgeous. But, I’m not sure your husband would want to be included in the vintage category.

I never think to use tape to create holders for floral arrangements. I need to remember that next time.

February 6, 2019 / 8:18 am

Ha – he and I are both in the vintage category!! Thank you for your sweet comment!

17. amberlyonferguson2017
    February 6, 2019 / 12:29 am

I just love the colors you chose for your vintage Valentine vignette! Pink tulips are so gorgeous, and your little flower arrangement is so precious in the bowl. What a great idea to tape off the bowl like a grid!

Your styled tray is perfect for Valentine’s Day. Thank you so much for joining us for this hop!

Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 6, 2019 / 8:27 am

Thank you Amber! When I saw the pink and purple flowers at the grocery store, I knew they would work perfectly with the embroidered napkins. Yes, I recently read that idea about taping the grid and it was SO easy! Thanks for stopping by and thanks for hosting the blog hop! I loved seeing all the beautiful ideas everyone had. Truly some talented ladies! Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

18. February 6, 2019 / 6:32 pm

Shelley,
    Your floral arrangement is beautiful. I agree decorating with things that have meaning to you makes everything more special.

Happy Valentine’s Day,

Judith

February 6, 2019 / 10:18 pm

Thanks Judith! Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

19. February 6, 2019 / 10:29 pm

Yes, decorating with sentimental pieces definitely makes for more special vignettes! I love those pretty, embroidered napkins! Fun hopping with you, Shelley;)

February 6, 2019 / 10:32 pm

Thanks Lora! I would love to have the talent to make something like that. I am honored that she gave them to me. Great hopping with you too!

20. February 7, 2019 / 8:52 pm

Shelley, both vignettes are beautiful! Those napkins are so pretty, and I know that you must treasure them so. You adorned the silver bowl perfectly. I feel it is so important to decorate our homes with things that we love and have meaning. You have done this perfectly in your displays. It has been so much fun to be on this blog hop with you! Happy Valentine’s Day!!!

February 7, 2019 / 9:36 pm

Thanks so much, Shannon! Even though I love shopping for fun accessories, I am happiest with my decor when the pieces have meaning. This blog hop really made me take a look around my house at the treasures I already owned. So great to blog hop with you too. Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

21. February 8, 2019 / 10:34 am

Shelley, I love love love your pretty floral arrangement in that gorgeous silver bowl. How special that it belonged to your father in law and that you have the embroidered napkins from your mother in law! They are beautiful too!

February 8, 2019 / 11:07 am

Awe, thanks Lisa! Yes, those pieces are very special to us. Now that my mother in law’s health has declined over the recent year, I cherish them even more. Thanks for your sweet comment and have a great weekend!

22. February 9, 2019 / 2:06 am

I adore all the flowers! The silver bowl that you used is gorgeous!! And those napkins are so cute and just so charming!! Sentimental pieces are always the best!!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!
    ~Emily

February 9, 2019 / 10:10 am

Thank you, Emily! Yes, sentimental pieces are the best. I need to look around to see what else I have stashed away. Enjoy your weekend!

23. February 10, 2019 / 11:09 am

Classic Valentine’s vignettes are lovely and lucky you to have been gifted those priceless napkins.
    Happy Valentine’s Day,
    Kippi #kippiathome

February 10, 2019 / 2:59 pm

Thanks so much, Kippi! Yes, I felt honored to receive them! Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!

24. February 10, 2019 / 8:50 pm

Such a stunning vignette, I am in the mood to set a nice table now. I’m going to have to go and scroll back up and take a second and third look. It’s beautiful!

February 10, 2019 / 8:54 pm

Aw, thanks – what a nice thing to say! Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment!

25. February 12, 2019 / 9:44 am

I’m really into vintage and soft colors and both your vignettes are lovely! pinned and shared

February 12, 2019 / 10:23 am

Thanks so much for your kind words and for sharing! Have a Happy Valentine’s Day, Carol!