Favorite Books to Add to Your Reading List

Although it might be the end of summer, there’s still time to enjoy a great book on the beach!  I gathered up a few suggestions to pack in your beach bag this Labor Day Weekend!  (Or to take with you on your next vacation!)

Kaanapali Beach in Maui and Favorite Books to Bring on Vacation

Please note that this post contains some affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking my links (at no additional cost to you).

I will begin with a popular book that everyone seems to be talking about this summer…

Emily Giffin - All We Ever Wanted Review

All We Ever Wanted

First of all, you can’t go wrong with #1 New York Times bestselling author, Emily Giffin.  Her latest novel, All I Ever Wanted is just as good as everyone is saying.  With it’s timely references to social media, those of you with teenagers will definitely want to read this one.  It’s an easy story to get caught up in with twists and turns of emotion filled drama.  Loved this book!

Speaking of drama, you won’t want to miss this one…

Big Little Lies - One of my favorite Books and Shows

Big Little Lies

Liane Moriarty has become one of my favorite authors.  I had already read (and loved) The Husband’s Secret and What Alice Forgot when my husband suggested I read Big Little Lies.  He had just started watching the series on HBO and he thought I would enjoy it.  Luckily, I already had the book sitting on my stack to read so I started it and was hooked!  I was so caught up in the story and spent every free minute buried in this book.

As soon as I finished, I couldn’t wait to start the HBO series and I couldn’t wait to see which actors played each character.  The show is so perfectly cast and ended up being just as engaging as the book.  When does that happen?  Needless to say, I was thrilled to learn that the HBO series was renewed for a second season!  The amazing cast including Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman is returning with the addition of Meryl Streep.  The show is supposedly due to start airing around the beginning of 2019.  That should give you plenty of time to read the book and binge watch the first season.  Obviously, I highly recommend it!

Another excellent choice for summer reading…

The Secret of Southern Charm - A Must Read for Summer

The Secret to Southern Charm

(Book photo by Smith Hardy Photography @smith_hardy_photo)

If you read my blog, you know I adore Kristy Woodson Harvey’s novels.  They are perfect books to get caught up in at the beach or pool and her latest might be my favorite in the series.  You can read my full review of that one here – Book Review – The Secret of Southern Charm by Kristy Woodson Harvey

If you are looking for a thriller…

Girls Night Out - A haunting vacation thriller

Girls’ Night Out

Girls’ Night Out will have you questioning who you can really trust… Although thrillers aren’t a genre I usually gravitate to, I really enjoyed this book and I am continuously entertained by the two best-friend authors who wrote it. Their novel, The Year We Turned Forty will always be a favorite!  Feel free to read my review of Girls’ Night Out as well as my review of The Year We Turned Forty.

And finally, if you are looking for a non-fiction book that you will not be able to put down…

Troublemaker - Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

Troublemaker – Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

Wow…just wow!  I have always been a huge fan of Leah Remini…(who didn’t adore King of Queens?), but now I have even more of an appreciation for her as a person.  Her well written story documenting her experience with Scientology was just fascinating.  She is bold and doesn’t hold back, staying true to her personality.  I have been telling everyone about this book!

I hope my suggestions help you choose your next book…

Summer is almost over!  Enjoy every last moment!

Poolside Reading - Books to Add to Your Reading List

What books were your favorites this summer?

Must Read Books to Add to Your Beach Bag this summer

Joining these link parties:
Olives and Okra – Funtastic Friday Imparting Grace – Grace at Home Sweet Pea – Best of the Weekend Tatertots and Jello – Best Friday FeaturesMaison de Cinq – Sundays at HomeInspiration for Moms – Inspiration MondayDwellings – Amaze Me MondayMy Uncommon Slice of Surburbia – Inspire Me MondayCedar Hill Farmhouse – The ScoopA Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me TuesdayThe Dedicated House – Make it Pretty MondayMarilyn’s Treats – Wonderful Wednesday The Red Painted Cottage – Share Your StyleKatherine’s Corner – Thursday Favorite ThingsThe Sway – Saturday SharefestPieced Pastimes – Saturday SparksSweet Parrish Place – Totally Terrific TuesdayJana Says – Show Us Your BooksJodie Fitz – Reader Tip TuesdayThe Red Painted Cottage – Share Your Style

1. Carole @ From My Carolina Home
    August 31, 2018 / 11:36 am

Currently on Emily and Einstein, and it is wonderful.

September 8, 2018 / 5:19 pm

Thanks Carole! I will have to look into that one!

2. Victoria Hannley
    August 31, 2018 / 3:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I keep a running log on my phone and lists like this have helped me discover so many great books and authors.

September 8, 2018 / 5:20 pm

Great idea! It's always fun to see what everyone is reading!

3. Mother of 3
    August 31, 2018 / 7:08 pm

Great suggestions! I LOVED Big Little Lies and have been hoping that season one will be picked up by Hulu or Netflix. I am currently waiting on Southern Charm to come in through our library but LOVED the first book in the series. I actually did not like The Year We Turned 40 but I'm always up for a good thriller.

September 8, 2018 / 5:21 pm

Wasn't Big Little Lies great? I haven't seen Southern Charm yet but everyone is always talking about it! Thanks for your input!

4. Nancy Andres
    September 4, 2018 / 3:17 pm

Pinned this post Shelly. All sound fun, just the way summer reading can be. I read "Clock Dance", the new Ann Tyler book this summer. Just love her quirky characters and how her characters say things I might think, but don't express. Another writer who does that is Curtis Sittenfeld in "You Think It, I'll Say It: Stories."Big Little Lies" is like that too.My post at Make it Pretty Monday is How to Use Fall Colors to Awaken Your Senseshttps://www.colors4health.com/2018/09/how-to-use-fall-colors-to-awaken-your.html

September 8, 2018 / 5:22 pm

Thanks so much, Nancy! I will look into those. I don't think I have read anything from either of those authors…yet!

5. Linda Bouffard
    September 6, 2018 / 4:52 pm

Thanks for the reviews. I think I'll be reading Leah Remini's book. Followed on all your social media also. 🙂 Best wishes for the week ahead. Linda = cohostess for Thursday Favorite Things from Crafts a la mode

September 8, 2018 / 5:25 pm

Thanks for the follows! Yeah, the Leah Remini book is quite the eye opener. I like how she isn't afraid to say what she thinks about certain celebrities too. I was also very happy that Kevin James is as nice as he appears. I have always enjoyed the chemistry the two of them have together!

6. Unknown
    September 7, 2018 / 1:49 pm

Just ordered "All We Ever Wanted" and I both can't wait to read it and am afraid to read it. I have a son who's 15 and a daughter who's 13 and it's just so scary thinking about the things that could happen to them as teens… You totally sold me on Big Little Lies too (the HBO series is in my queue to watch, but it would be great to read the book first.Xo, Julie | This Main Line Life

September 8, 2018 / 5:27 pm

Yes, the story is definitely relevant to the times we live in. Teens really need to be careful these days. Yes, Big Little Lies! I have yet to find someone who doesn't love it! Like I said, you don't need to read the book first unless you want to. A fun series to get caught up in!

7. Chelsea Wells-Barrett
    September 7, 2018 / 8:50 pm

I just recently got into reading…and that's embarrassing because I'm 25. But now I LOVE it and I can't wait to add these to my list. Bookmarking the page, now!

September 8, 2018 / 5:28 pm

You shouldn't be embarrassed! It's hard to find time for those type of things but I am glad you are enjoying it now!

8. Michele Morin
    September 8, 2018 / 12:45 pm

I've taken in a couple of great fiction reads this summer: The Child from the Sea by Elizabeth Goudge and right now I'm in the middle of Becoming Mrs. Lewis by Patti Callahan. Summer reading is such a great part of the season.

September 8, 2018 / 5:34 pm

Thanks for your input, Michele! I will look into those books as well. It's always fun to discover new authors and yes, summer reading really is a great part of the season!

9. Monica L
    September 11, 2018 / 3:40 pm

I love loved Big Little Lies! Im a leah Remini so definitely plan to check her book out! Great recommendations!

September 13, 2018 / 2:14 pm

Thank you! Wasn't Big Little Lies great? If you are a fan of Leah Remini, I think you would love this book. Her personality really comes through and she isn't afraid to tell her story.

10. Kristen @ See You In A Porridge
    September 11, 2018 / 6:03 pm

i really enjoyed Leah Remini's book – i'd never seen the king of queens show but i was curious about scientology. big little lies, so good! love her so much. her newest comes out in 7 days, not that i am counting down or anything!

September 13, 2018 / 2:15 pm

Leah's book was really an eye opener! Yes, I am counting down for Liane Moriarty's new book as well!

11. SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph
    September 11, 2018 / 6:48 pm

Scientology is crazy, Leah Remini is brave. Loved Big Little Lies. I'm intrigued by the duo writers.

September 13, 2018 / 2:17 pm

I agree with you! Yes, the duo writers – have written some fun books. I follow them on Instragram too and they just crack me up…so entertaining. I think I loved their book, The Year We Turned Forty the most, though.

12. Kay R.
    September 11, 2018 / 10:47 pm

I LOVEDDDD big little lies!

September 13, 2018 / 2:17 pm

Me too…it seems like everyone does!

13. Tanya
    September 12, 2018 / 12:03 am

I am generally not a huge fan of memoirs but I really enjoyed Leah Remini's. You could feel her authenticity and I loved that she was both her blunt self while also owning her own past culpability with Scientology. I enjoyed When We Turned 40 but haven't read Girls Night Out. I should check it out! Sadly, I've tried to love Liane Moriarty but we just don't jell for some reason.

September 13, 2018 / 2:19 pm

Yes! You could practically hear Leah talking in her book. Love her and her bravery. Girls Night Out was totally different from The Year We Turned Forty but still good.

14. Midnight Cowgirl
    September 12, 2018 / 9:07 pm

I have All We Ever Wanted waiting by my bed, but I haven't had time to start it yet…

September 13, 2018 / 2:20 pm

It's a quick read and so relevant to the current times. I need to read more of hers.

15. Kasey Holloway
    September 13, 2018 / 12:26 pm

I really enjoyed Troublemaker! Anything cult related is always super interesting to me!

September 13, 2018 / 2:20 pm

I find that genre fascinating as well!

September 16, 2018 / 2:51 am

Yes she is – love her! Definitely check it out. I really couldn't put it down!

September 21, 2018 / 12:22 pm