From Fall to Halloween on the Porch

Can you believe October is almost over?  In case you are still looking for fall decorating ideas, today I’m sharing my fall front porch with you.  First, I will show you how I decorated for fall and then I will share how I transitioned from fall to Halloween on the porch.  Let’s get started…

Please note that this post contains some affiliate links.  If you make a purchase after clicking my links, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.

Fall Front Porch Decor

Fall Front Porch with mums and pumpkins

For this year’s porch, I began with a colorful wreath I found in Homegoods.  Last year, I used a more neutral door hanging but I find the brighter colors speak to me more in the fall.  Plus, I like the way this wreath looks with the mini pumpkins above the door.

From there, I chose the mums to coordinate with all the colors.  If you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen my stories where I complained about the deer eating my first set of mums.  You would think I would learn to spray them with deer repellent the minute I get them home!   Anyway, this is my second set of mums and you can bet that I sprayed them with that stinky spray right away.  Luckily, the deer haven’t touched these!  (Don’t worry, the smell of the spray almost goes away when it’s dry.)

mums and pumpkins

Sure, I thought about buying a fall-oriented doormat but I just kept the Home Sweet Home one and layered it over a buffalo checked rug.  I know everyone is doing the whole rug-layering-thing but I have to say, I love the look!Layered Doormats on front porch

Home Sweet Home Doormat

mums on front porch

In my opinion, you really can’t go wrong with black accents.  And the black accents also work well when you are trying to transition the fall porch to a Halloween porch…

From Fall to Halloween on the Porch

Rather than change everything as Halloween grew closer, I just added a few fun Halloween touches…

Trick or Treat Banner over front door

When I found this Trick or Treat banner at World Market, I knew this would be the perfect addition to my front porch decor.  It’s kind of hard to tell from the photo but the banner is burlap and adds just the right amount of texture and color to welcome those trick-or-treaters!

Halloween decor on a black front door

In past years, I let my kids stick all kinds of crazy decals on the windows but nowadays they just aren’t interested.  Now that they are teens, they don’t want to get involved with the decorating.  Sad, yes but at least I can just keep it simple…

Skull and pumpkins - from fall to Halloween on the porch

Although, I did add in a few “scary” accessories like this skull.

Skull on porch

Creepy, huh?  Maybe he will help scare all the deer away!

Skeleton on porch - one of our Halloween greeters

How about this guy…my official Halloween “greeter”.  Or maybe, I should say “eater” because he appears to be eating the mums!  Better him that the deer!  (Do I sound obsessed with the deer eating my mums?  Go ahead and read: 5 Things I Don’t Love About Fall for a few more things about fall that I might obsess about – ha!)

Halloween porch with pumpkins and mums

All we have to do now is carve a few of those pumpkins!

So, with just a few additions, I transitioned my porch from fall to Halloween.  Now, I need to think how I can stretch this out until Thanksgiving!

Happy Halloween, everyone!

For your convenience, I have provided sources below.  Please note that this post contains some affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking my links at no additional cost to you.

Sources for Fall to Halloween porch decor:

If you are looking for more fall porch ideas, be sure to check out these ideas:

Do you update your decor from fall to Halloween?

Fall Porch Decor

Joining these parties:

A Delightsome Life – Home and Garden Thursday, From Gardners to Bergers – The Handmade HangoutPieced Pastimes – Saturday Sparks, Finding Silver Pennies – Silver Pennies Sunday, Bluesky at Home – Happiness is Homemade, Two Chicks and a Mom – Snickerdoodle Create Bake MakeMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia – Inspire Me Monday, A Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me Tuesday, Common Ground – All About Home, The Dedicated House – Make it Pretty MondayHomestories A to Z – Tutorials and TipsThe How to Home – Project Inspired Link PartyJodie Fitz – Reader Tip Tuesday, My Wee Abode – Tuesday Turnaround, My Life Abundant – Wonderful Wednesday

1. October 30, 2019 / 8:07 pm

Both your fall and your Halloween porches look great, Shelley! I love your trick-or-treat banner and I definitely feel your pain with the deer eating your mums.

October 30, 2019 / 8:25 pm

Thanks, Paula! I found that banner on sale too it was even better… Yeah, those deer can be brutal!

2. October 31, 2019 / 9:06 am

I love your porch any time of year, but your Halloween porch is so fun! Enjoy the night! xoxo

October 31, 2019 / 9:28 am

Thanks, Kristy! I hope you and your sweet family have a fun Halloween!

3. October 31, 2019 / 10:38 am

This is just SO charming! And I love your greeter! Wish he was visiting my house!

October 31, 2019 / 11:22 am

Thanks, Jeanie! My greeter is getting wet right now…looks like rain ALL day. What are we going to do with all this candy?!!! Ugh. Happy Halloween!

4. Diane
    October 31, 2019 / 11:28 am

Oh I just love your pops of orange! Sometime I would love to see an outside pic of your home. I am guessing it is just as lovely as the inside. Hugs from Waco—finally cooled off enough here for mums to survive on our front porch ! I grew up in Minnesota where there are lots of deer but did not know they would eat mums!

October 31, 2019 / 11:36 am

Thanks, Diane – you always leave the sweetest comments. I am happy to hear it cooled down for you. It’s pouring here in NJ so it looks like Halloween will be a washout. And yes, deer go crazy for the mums where I live! Happy Halloween!

5. cynthiahattersley
    October 31, 2019 / 4:39 pm

Your porch is so fun Shelly! I don’t do much. We live in the country and get no tricker treaters and did I mention no one uses our front door!

October 31, 2019 / 5:49 pm

Thanks Cindy! We usually get between 75-90 kids! Happy Halloween!

6. October 31, 2019 / 10:04 pm

It looks fabulous, Shelley! I just love that buffalo check rug! I used to decorate for Halloween when my son was younger, but not anymore. And…….I can’t even buy real pumpkins between the deer, squirrels, and chipmunks, who destroy them almost immediately. I do spray my mums, too, with that horrible stinky spray, but it has been keeping them away so far.

November 1, 2019 / 7:44 am

Thanks, Amy! We get a ton of trick or treaters so I always decorate. Yes, that deer spray really does stink when you spray it on but it really does work!

7. November 5, 2019 / 7:45 am

Pretty front porch ready to greet your guests!
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Kippi

November 5, 2019 / 8:01 am

Thanks, Kippi! I hope the mums make it until Thanksgiving… Even though I took care of our deer situation, I don’t exactly have a green thumb!

8. Julie Briones
    November 8, 2019 / 12:12 am

You did a great job transitioning your porch from fall to Halloween. I don’t normally like the skeleton look, but that one eating the mum made me giggle! And I love the mums coordinating with your wreath. I can’t believe the deer are actually gutsy enough to get that close to your door!

November 8, 2019 / 8:34 am

Thanks, Julie! Yeah, I’d much rather have the skeleton eat the mums than those pesky deer! It’s amazing how comfortable they feel walking up on my front porch! So far, the spray has been working, though! Thanks for stopping by!