A Love Story For People Who Don’t Read Romance Novels

Are you someone who won’t read a love story because you are not a “romance novel reader”?  If so, you might end up missing a very sweet love story that I came across recently.

Don’t worry, I won’t try to convince you to read a trashy romance novel with Fabio on the cover…does Fabio even still do covers?  Yes, I am totally dating myself.

I recommend this love story for people who don’t normally read romance novels…

Please note that this post contains affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking my links, (at no additional cost to you).

One Day in December book - a sweet love story

One Day in December

I don’t remember who recommended this book to me but I would like to thank them!  One Day in December is such a heart warming love story that I could not put down.  Not only is this a romantic love story but it’s also a story about true friendship.  I adored every character in the book and felt heartbroken to leave them when the book ended.  This is one of those books that gives you a “book hangover”.  Seriously, you will need to give yourself time to “recover” before reading another one!

An excerpt from the back cover:

“Two people. Ten chances. One unforgettable love story.

Laurie is pretty sure love at first sight doesn’t exist anywhere outside of the movies. But then, through a misted-up bus window one snowy December day, she sees a man who she knows instantly, is the one. Their eyes meet, there’s a moment of pure magic…and then her bus drives away.

Certain they’re fated to find each other again, Laurie spends a year scanning every bus stop and cafe in London for him. But she doesn’t find him.  Not when it matters, anyway. Instead they “reunite” at a Christmas party, when her best friend Sarah giddily introduces her new boyfriend – Jack, the man from the bus – to Laurie.

What follows for Laurie, Sarah and Jack is ten years of friendship, heartbreak,roads not taken, and destinies reconsidered. One Day in December is a joyous, heartwarming and immensely moving love story, and a reminder that fate takes inexplicable turns along the route to happiness.”

Doesn’t  A Day in December sound like something you would love reading?  If you want to get engrossed in a charming love story, definitely add this one to your list.  Not surprisingly, Reese Witherspoon recommended it as well!

In addition to A Day in December, I recently read (and loved) Before We Were Strangers.  It would almost qualify as a “non-romance novel” love story but it did have a few very passionate scenes… Not that Fabio would be on the cover or anything, though.  As I remember, I spent several late nights reading this one as well.  What fun to get caught up in an emotional story that brought back memories of being young and in love!

If you are looking for even more book recommendations, don’t miss these summer reading ideas, or this list of favorite books.

What love stories do you recommend?

signature

February 11, 2019 / 12:41 pm

Yes! I would love to hear what you think of it when you are done!

February 11, 2019 / 5:12 pm

You’re welcome! I really loved this one!

1. paulasweetpea
    February 11, 2019 / 4:55 pm

I’m always looking for a book to add to my list. This one sounds like one that I would enjoy.

February 11, 2019 / 5:14 pm

It really was an enjoyable book, Paula. I think you would like it!

2. February 12, 2019 / 9:33 am

nothing wrong with fabio 😉 i love a good ‘trashy’ romance book. i had issues with this book but overall i liked it. it would make a cute movie – though i suppose that kind of plot has been used before but oh well. why not make another haha.

February 12, 2019 / 10:11 am

Ha – good ol’ Fabio…Sure, it’s been done before but I just enjoyed the characters and the relationships so much that it didn’t bother me!

3. SMD
    February 12, 2019 / 12:40 pm

I am the person who doesn’t typically love romance novels so the title got me immediately. LOL. I do have Before We Were Strangers on my shelf.

February 12, 2019 / 1:28 pm

It’s more of a heart warming love story – more like a Romantic comedy movie. I really loved both of the books!

4. Carly
    February 12, 2019 / 1:48 pm

I had this on my holds list from the library but took it off because I was worried it was going to be too holiday-ish, but after reading about it, it sounds like that’s just in the title & I wish I would have kept it on my list.

February 12, 2019 / 2:08 pm

Oh no! I didn’t think it was too holiday-ish at all. There were several mentions of New Year’s resolutions but it was more about the relationships. Thanks for swinging by to comment!

5. February 12, 2019 / 4:50 pm

I do not like romance novels, rom-coms, or anything of the like. However, I will occasionally read one just to read something different, and I will keep this one in mind.

February 12, 2019 / 7:48 pm

My favorites are usually historical fiction but someone recommended this book and I really loved it. Sometimes it’s just nice to have a light entertaining read!

6. February 12, 2019 / 6:34 pm

It sounds really good. Like the perfect, light read after reading something heavy or a bit murdery and you need a palate cleanser. Or a reminder that the world doesn’t suck! LOL!

February 12, 2019 / 7:51 pm

Yes, something fun you can get caught up in. I would much rather read something like this before bed than watch stressful things on the news! I really enjoyed it!

7. February 12, 2019 / 9:20 pm

One Day In December is on my to be read list!

February 12, 2019 / 9:26 pm

Great! Stop by when you are done. I would love to hear what you think of it!

8. February 13, 2019 / 10:14 am

You make a good argument for picking up this one! I hardly ever read fiction – sometimes when I’m on vacation and relaxed enough, I’ll give in, but I’m a nonfiction girl all the way. Give me a picture book, memoir or contemplative/spiritual/psychological title, and I’m engaged. I think it’s the nerd factor – if I could be anywhere in the world, it would be in a classroom. 🙂 Peace to you, Shelley.

February 13, 2019 / 12:03 pm

Thanks, Michele. Yes, vacations are the perfect time for a good fiction novel. I read both fiction and non-fiction…I do love a good autobiography! Thanks for stopping by to comment and enjoy the rest of your week!

February 14, 2019 / 3:17 pm

It really is a sweet story of love and friendship. If you end up reading it, I would love to hear what you thought of it. Thanks for stopping by!

9. February 15, 2019 / 9:29 am

I am so excited to order this book. I like love stories so happy to read this one. Happy Reading, Kippi #kippiathome

February 15, 2019 / 12:37 pm

It was a great book to get caught up in!