How I “Do Fall” – Decor Around My Home

Each year, I start decorating for fall in early September (after I am done mourning the end of summer!)

Decorate For Fall:

Usually, I begin with a small fall vignette here and there…

Fall Mantel on Stone Fireplace - How I Do Fall

Fall Mantel with Apples and Pumpkins

Since there are so many natural items to work with in the fall, I like to check out what they are selling at the local farm stands.  Without fail, I come home with a bag of white pumpkins every year!  Sometimes I buy apples, pears…whatever catches my eye.  Usually, I freshen up my mantel, foyer and add some simple autumn touches to the kitchen.

Add Some Halloween Decor:

Even though most of my fall decor stays out through Thanksgiving, I make a few little tweaks for Halloween along the way…

Simple Black and Orange Mantel

Simple Black and Orange Mantel

Mostly, that involves adding a few Jack-O-Lanterns and decorations for the front porch…nothing major.

Pumpkins on the porch for Halloween

Preparing

Prepare for Thanksgiving:

As Thanksgiving approaches, I take away the little bits of Halloween and add a few accessories… Generally, I start thinking about what works best for entertaining.  After all, we host a house-load of people on Thanksgiving day.  Why not make the house as inviting as possible!

Thanksgiving Touches around the house

Thanksgiving Touches Around the House

Fall Decorating with Sunflowers

Thanksgiving Vignettes

Basically, I don’t put away my fall decor but I just make a few minor changes along the way.

Since, we host Thanksgiving, I like to give that special holiday the attention it deserves!

Thanksgiving Table Setting - How I Do Fall

Thanksgiving Table Setting with White Pumpkins

Goodbye Fall Decorating…Hello Christmas!

Then the very next morning, I start lugging those Christmas bins up from the basement.  No Black Friday shopping for me!  That Friday – and most of that weekend you can find me packing away the fall decor and decorating for Christmas!

Christmas in the Foyer - Transitioning from Fall to Winter Decorating

Then my Christmas decor stays up until New Year’s Day.

How do you “do fall” in your home?

PinterestInstagram / Facebook / Twitter

1. Tanya
    October 19, 2016 / 10:59 am

This is almost exactly how I do things. Around the beginning of September, I pull out the fall decor. At the beginning of October, I add some Halloween touches. Then, at the beginning of November, I pull down any Halloween and add a few Thanksgiving things. Lately we have decorated for Christmas the weekend before Thanksgiving, since we have been going on vacations for Thanksgiving. This makes it a little awkward because I do a "mini" Thanksgiving meal that weekend (Thanksgiving table with Christmas decor all around), but I just have to let that go.

2. Pam Richardson
    October 19, 2016 / 1:54 pm

Shelley, your plan sounds kind of like what I do. I don't really decorate for Halloween, but autumn stays out until the day after Thanksgiving because I host… And then I go into full Christmas!

3. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life
    October 19, 2016 / 2:43 pm

Oh I love your Fall and I do the same. What I have now is there until Christmas. These seasons seem like they are so close together and I really want Christmas to be the show stopper anyway.

4. Sheila @ Maison de Cinq
    October 21, 2016 / 2:42 pm

I don't do Black Friday at all either! We spend that day as a family (it's a tradition) where we usually go see a Christmas movie or something. And then, like you, I spend the rest of that weekend doing my Christmas decorating! (though I may have to start earlier this year as I'm doing an early blog hop! We'll see how that works:))Happy Weekend!Sheilaxo

5. Ashley @ The Houston House
    October 23, 2016 / 6:02 pm

LOVE IT! Seriously, best time of year.

6. Donna Wilkes
    October 23, 2016 / 10:33 pm

That is one cute jack o'lantern in the witch's hat. Lovely fall vignettes. I wait until after Thanksgiving to decorate for Christmas. I like to enjoy each holiday..

7. Ambient Wares
    October 24, 2016 / 11:07 pm

I like the switching out little by little! Not so overwhelming for sure. Thanks for sharing with us at Funtastic Friday!

8. Amanda Kolb
    October 25, 2016 / 9:37 pm

I like to switch things around too in during the Fall season. And I have to say that I really love that metal and wood shelving unit!! Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!!

9. Chloe Crabtree
    October 26, 2016 / 11:37 pm

I am with you, the day after Thanksgiving is Christmas decorating day at my house! Your basket of sunflowers is so pretty! I would love to have you stop by and share this post at Celebrate Your Story! Here is the link if you have a moment: http://celebrateanddecorate.com/celebrate-story-49/

10. The Freckled Rose
    October 30, 2016 / 3:49 am

Love all your fun and fabulous decor! Thanks for sharing with us at #DIDI