Kitchen Before and After (from Each Angle)

A few months ago, I was so excited to show you my new kitchen that I forgot to do a follow up post showing you the before and after from every angle.

Let’s take a before and after tour of my kitchen…

This is what my kitchen used to look like when you entered the room.

Oak Kitchen Before

Basically we gutted the room from top to bottom.  What a project!  (And when I say ‘we’, I mean the contractor and his crew.  This was no way a DIY project!)

AFTER:

White Kitchen with Cherry Island After

I had always wanted a white kitchen and was thrilled with the results!  I still have to buy new bar stools and eventually a new table and chairs, but basically we are finished!

Here is the view from the kitchen table.  As you can see we changed and added lighting as well…

BEFORE:

Oak Kitchen with Peninsula

The refrigerator used to be on the far wall and the peninsula divided the room.  The stove top was on the peninsula.  Those things have changed!

AFTER:

White Kitchen with Cherry Island and wood floors

One of the best things we did was remove that peninsula and put in an island!  It’s so much easier to move around in here now!  The refrigerator is no longer on the far wall.  Now that’s where the new stove sits!

The one thing that annoyed me from the day we moved into our house 16 (almost 17) years ago was the size and placement of the kitchen window!  Changing the window was one of my top priorities!  This view is looking in from the dining room…

BEFORE:

Oak Kitchen Cabinets

The windows were just too high.  I would have to stand on my toes to really get a good view out the window!  And I always hated having that garbage can as such a focal point!

AFTER:

White Kitchen with 3 Transom Windows

I am in love with my new windows!  They ended up being even bigger than I originally ordered due to a fortunate mistake!  Now they are the right height from the sink and they let in a ton of light!  And the garbage can is no longer a focal point.  I have two cabinet trash cans now!  One is below a drawer in the island and the other just to the right of the sink.  That one is my favorite because it is right below counter height which makes it easy to empty garbage right in as I am clearing plates at the sink.  It also has a recycling bin behind the trash can.

And here is a better view of the island – no more peninsula!

Cherry Island with White Ice Granite

I can’t believe how much the traffic flow has improved!

As we swing over to the other side, you can see where the wall oven and microwave used to be.

BEFORE:

Oak Kitchen Cabinets and wall ovens

That wall to the right of the ovens wasn’t load bearing and divided the kitchen too much.  Although I miss having my baker’s rack in here, I am much happier with the new use of space!

AFTER:

Refrigerator Wall with White Cabinets

I was so worried about disrupting the ‘work triangle’ by putting the fridge on this wall but it hasn’t bothered me one bit!  In fact, now it’s easier to grab something from the fridge when you are already sitting at the kitchen table!  We also made sure we left enough space between the fridge and the island so people can walk through.

Here is another shot of the same wall (minus the Christmas decorations!)

AFTER:

White Cabinets with Shelf and bar area

The tall cabinets next to the fridge have slide out drawers.  We already have a pantry so this is additional space for pantry items.  I am still working on rearranging that stuff to make it more efficient.

Here is another view of the kitchen if you were walking in from the back door.

BEFORE:

Oak Kitchen with Tile Floors Before

See, there’s that lovely garbage can again!

AFTER:

New White Kitchen with Wood Floors

No more tile, no more garbage can!

This photo was taken from the center of the kitchen, looking into the family room.

BEFORE:

Oak Kitchen with Uba Tuba Granite Peninsula

The peninsula cut the room in half and made it difficult to serve food when we had large family gatherings.

AFTER

Now it’s so much easier to move around the island!

And this last angle shows the wall we ended up removing.  You can also see down the hall to the back door.

BEFORE:

Kitchen Before with divider wall

We used to have hanging lanterns in the hallway for lighting.  I was never happy with the way they lit up the hallway though.

AFTER:

White Kitchen - side view of refrigerator wall

We changed the hallway lanterns to recessed lighting which doesn’t compete with the large lanterns over the island.  And no more wall sticking out to divide the space!

And that’s the full before and after from every angle!
Took me long enough, huh?
Thanks for taking the tour!

You can see more of the kitchen reveal here – My New White Kitchen(and at the bottom of that post are links to all the renovation posts and sources!)  And by the way, I finally bought new counter stools!

For more inspiration, please follow along…

Kitchen Renovation - Befores and Afters from every angle - Calypso in the Country Blog

new white kitchen

Linking to:

Savvy Southern Style – Wow Us WednesdaysThe NY Melrose Family – Whimsy WednesdaysElizabeth and Co – Be InspiredDIY by Design – Winter Blues WednesdaysThe Happy Housie – Work it WednesdayA Delightsome Life – Home and Garden ThursdayNorthern Nesting – Share Your StyleIn the New House Designs – Inspiration ThursdayDomestic Charm – The Creative CircleFrench Country Cottage – Feathered Nest FridayAKA Design – Weekend Retreat Link PartyRattlebridge Farm – Foodie Friday and Everything ElseCraftberry Bush – The Inspiration GalleryMy Romantic Home – Show and Tell FridayChic on a Shoestring – Flaunt it FridayPieced Pastimes – Saturday SparksShabbyfufu – Share it One More TimeInspiration for Moms – Inspiration MondayDwellings – Amaze Me MondayCedar Hill -The ScoopSand and Sisal – Inspire Me MondayA Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me TuesdayThe Kim Six Fix – You’re Gonna Love itThe Dedicated House – Make it Pretty MondayBetween Naps on the Porch – Metamorphosis MondayKelly’s Korner – Real Life Everyday Kitchens,

1. Laurel Stephens
    January 20, 2016 / 12:44 am

Oooooh, I just LOVE before and after photos, and I never get tired of seeing your stunning kitchen. It's hard to believe these are the same rooms, Shelley. Your new kitchen is simply a dream. Sigh…

2. Holly @ Down to Earth Style
    January 20, 2016 / 2:15 am

Holy Moly! What an amazing transformation. I bet you are having so much fun in your new space. Your kitchen looks and probably feels huge!

• Holly @ Down to Earth Style
      January 20, 2016 / 2:18 am

Hope you don't mind that I shared it on Facebook.

3. Lisa @ Shine Your Light
    January 20, 2016 / 3:46 am

Your new kitchen is just amazing Shelley!

4. Ron
    January 20, 2016 / 11:32 am

It looks AMAZING!!!!! I know you are enjoying the "new" kitchen.

5. Kaylor Little
    January 20, 2016 / 12:39 pm

Its gorgeous. I love the new layout and those wood floors!

6. Pepper Medley
    January 20, 2016 / 12:42 pm

Gorgeous…. and I love that you took out that small wall. Sometimes houses have unnecessary walls that just beg to be torn down. Your end results are fabulous!

7. therelishedroost
    January 20, 2016 / 1:47 pm

Such a great transformation!

8. Courtney@Golden Boys and Me
    January 20, 2016 / 1:58 pm

An amazing transformation! I enjoyed getting to see more angles of this gorgeous space. I am so jealous that you have TWO built in garbage cans. That is awesome. And what a happy "mistake" those windows turned out to be. I love everything about your kitchen. Enjoy it!!

9. Shirley@Housepitality Designs
    January 20, 2016 / 2:44 pm

This has to be one of my most favorite kitchen transformations!…Beautiful!

10. lala
    January 20, 2016 / 2:56 pm

I absolutely love it!!! You must love walking in to your kitchen, it really is beautiful. I really like the open detail over the fridge and the wide crown moulding on the cabinet tops. This is a well thought out and very pretty transformation!!

11. Bonnie Schulte
    January 20, 2016 / 6:38 pm

It is much more fun to see after pictures, when you have the before to show also. What an awesome change in your home. Your kitchen is out of this world BEAUTIFUL!!!!! love, love ,love…

12. The Vintage Chateau
    January 21, 2016 / 12:38 am

Great photos! What a fabulous project!Karee

13. Lela Burris
    January 21, 2016 / 2:50 am

Wow! I am so in love with your cabinets! The kitchen looks absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing at Inspiration Thursday. Hope you have a great week!

14. Kathryn with Heaven is Smiling Above
    January 21, 2016 / 3:16 am

Really, really nice! The change is so dramatic. I love your island, new windows, the refrigerator wall, everything! Nice job. Thank you for sharing!! Stopping by from Inspiration Thursday

15. Kris @ Driven by Décor
    January 21, 2016 / 4:15 pm

Oh my gosh Shelley – your kitchen is just amazing! I totally love looking at the before and afters! You must just have a big smile on your face every time you walk into this new space!

16. Kelly
    January 21, 2016 / 5:43 pm

Wow! It looks amazing! I love white kitchens too and when we were looking at new houses, I was surprised to see how many had dark cabinets. I won't have a kitchen with dark cabinets. Your kitchen looks so expensive and rich now. I bet you just increased the equity in your house by thousands now! I love your new floors too. I bet you don't mind cooking and love to entertain now. Great job!

17. Leslie
    January 21, 2016 / 5:52 pm

Looks so pretty! White really opens everything up and it's such a classic look, you will never tire of it. Enjoy!

18. Deb Foglia
    January 22, 2016 / 2:18 am

Wow Shelley…DREAM kitchen right here! I love it…what an amazing difference…the glass doors and the lanterns have to be my favorite!

19. Tammy Lagaly
    January 22, 2016 / 3:25 am

So pretty! This is a beautiful before and after!

20. My kids' Mom
    January 22, 2016 / 6:56 am

Congratulations to a beautiful kitchen! Very Lovely. I have just renovated my kitchen from 1970 in my Swedish Lakehouse. Have a great day! Kind regards from Sweden, Anneli

21. Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane
    January 22, 2016 / 12:44 pm

Oh Shelley you must be so thrilled with your new kitchen. It really looks wonderful. Love all of the changes, the white cabinets and the way you reconfigured your kitchen's island. It is hard to believe it is the same space as before. Can I ask you where you found the lantern lighting over the island? I am currently looking for lighting to put over my island and I love the lantern look. Yours are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing at SYS and have a wonderful weekend!XO Barbara

22. Angela Boone
    January 22, 2016 / 5:27 pm

Wandering over from The Creative Circle. Your kitchen looks great

23. Liz@ Infuse With Liz
    January 22, 2016 / 8:14 pm

Wow this is fabulous! You must be so happy with it. Love the white cabinets, glass doors and your new window. You had a nice kitchen before but this is even better! It's amazing how having the same flooring flow right through there to the family room makes it all look larger.

24. Angelina PeoniesandOrangeBlossoms
    January 22, 2016 / 11:04 pm

Your new kitchen is beautiful!!

25. Mary Keels
    January 22, 2016 / 11:22 pm

I love before and after photos and yours are just fantastic. What a beautiful transformation with such a new look. Enjoy!!!!

26. Lori @ Dining Delight
    January 23, 2016 / 4:09 pm

Fabulous renovation! I would be happy to have your old kitchen but your new one…Wow! It is drop dead gorgeous! You planned everything out perfectly and love the flow and freshness of the it.

27. Katie
    January 23, 2016 / 5:21 pm

Just found your blog, we have a lot in common looking at your pinterest boards (: Love your kitchen, amazing!!!

28. Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest
    January 23, 2016 / 11:47 pm

Holey moley, girl – you did a fabulous job – wow wow wow! I can't say enough about your awesome renovation, it is incredible!

29. Suzanne
    January 24, 2016 / 9:33 pm

Just gorgeous! I don't think I fully appreciated those floors until this post. I know you are enjoying this room a lot.

30. FABBY'S LIVING
    January 25, 2016 / 2:12 am

It looks awesome! I know you are so excited and happy you can't believe! I know, I remember when we did ours several years ago and I still love it! Enjoy it for many years to come.FABBY

31. reFresh reStyle
    January 25, 2016 / 12:44 pm

Wow! It's gorgeous! Love it all, thanks for sharing at Inspiration Monday!Debbie

32. Sheila Irwin
    January 25, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Shelley,I just love what you did with your kitchen! And now seeing the whole thing, it is so similar to mine (though bigger!) and unfortunately, I was not smart enough to get rid of my peninsula and do an island instead – so bummed about that!I think you should just paint your kitchen table and chairs a distressed/chippy white – the chairs are cute and it would look great! Do the table dark wood and the chairs white, or do the table dark and just get new chairs. Loved seeing the whole reveal!Sheilaxowww.maisondecinq.blogspot.com

33. At Rivercrest Cottage
    January 26, 2016 / 4:05 am

Your after is beautiful. I sent a link to my daughter, whose kitchen is laid out exactly like your after…but looks like your before. She will find inspiration in your beautiful redo.

34. DIYbyDesign
    January 26, 2016 / 11:52 am

Gorgeous kitchen renovation. I will be featuring this tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

35. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.
    January 26, 2016 / 1:16 pm

That is one stunning kitchen transformation Shelley! Featured at Be Inspired this morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

36. Brenna Morgan
    January 26, 2016 / 2:57 pm

That is a stunning after! What a beautiful renovation! Thank you for sharing at the Creative Circle.

37. Shelia
    January 26, 2016 / 4:00 pm

I simply adore your kitchen makeover. It's gorgeous. Love the white and the granite is beautiful! You did great.Be a sweetie,Shelia 😉

38. Carol
    January 27, 2016 / 1:50 am

I've said it before and happily say it again…..your kitchen is gorgeous, Shelley! It's hard to believe it's even the same space!Warm hugs,Carol

39. Mustlovehome
    February 1, 2016 / 3:20 pm

Wow, your new kitchen is stunning! I love the cool feel that it now has! And the hanging lantern lights are gorgeous!! Taking out the small wall and putting in an expanse of cabinets was so smart to do. I am thinking about painting my cabinets white and this has given me loads of inspiration! Christine

40. Clockwork Interiors
    February 1, 2016 / 3:30 pm

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous kitchen. You must be thrilled. I think I'd hang out in it all day long. Enjoy! Cynthia

41. Cristina Garay
    February 1, 2016 / 4:28 pm

Oh my goodness, I LOVE it from every angle! What a transformation!

42. Christine Graves
    February 2, 2016 / 3:21 pm

Wow, it is absolutely stunning! I love the white cabinets, the new lighting and your new kitchen sink window is now on my wish list!

• Calypso In The Country
      February 4, 2016 / 2:06 pm

Thanks so much, Christine!

43. mrsben
    February 4, 2016 / 2:41 am

BEAUTIFUL upgrade! So nice to see as well, that you opted for a raised panel rather than the (common) Shaker. -Brenda-

• Calypso In The Country
      February 4, 2016 / 2:07 pm

Thanks Brenda! I did go back and forth for awhile on that decision because most white kitchen these days have shaker cabinets. I just felt like the raised panel was more more style!

44. Calypso In The Country
    February 4, 2016 / 2:09 pm

Thank you all for your lovely comments. If you have an email and are not a 'no reply blogger' I try to email you back. If not, I have been trying my best to respond above. Thanks again! – Shelley

45. Melissa Williams
    May 28, 2016 / 12:10 pm

Looking for similar lighting that you put over the island. Do you know who made the lanterns or where to purchase?

46. Elenie Counts
    August 15, 2016 / 5:12 pm

This is perfection! Great job 🙂

47. Elenie Counts
    August 15, 2016 / 5:12 pm

…oh and I found you through Kelly's link up. 😉

48. Debbie
    August 19, 2016 / 4:19 am

Beautiful transformation!

49. Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
    September 6, 2016 / 3:19 pm

Beautiful, Shelley! Biggest thing for me would be the change from space above the cabinets to cabinets that go all the way up; I just don't understand why anybody would want that dust-catching, space-wasting open area above the cabinets. I envy you that big beautiful window!

50. Karren Haller
    August 26, 2017 / 7:59 pm

Oh MY Heart, what an amazing difference, your kitchen is A-w-e-s-o-m-e-!!!!! I love it, the island was a great addition, I love have the additional work-space and for family and friends to mingle around. And I like how you used the different wood for the island!! I had to come find your post. Found you featured on Pieced Pastimes. I have pinned to My Favorite Kitchens!!Now I would like to invite you to stop by one of my parties and share to inspire others, either Friday Features or Wordless Wednesday.http://bit.ly/2gdUT16Have a wonderful weekend!Karren