Plaid Table Settings for the Fall and Winter Holidays

You can never have enough plaid when it comes to decorating for fall or winter!

As you can see, I have quite a collection of plaids and checks…

Please note that this post contains affiliate links which means if you click on the product links and purchase something, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.

Plaids and Checks for fall

But like I said, you can never have enough plaid!

Recently, this runner at Homegoods caught my eye…

Plaid Table Runner

And of course I had to buy it to add to my plaid collection!  A black watch plaid like this plaid table runner would be pretty for fall as well.

Although, I haven’t created a table setting with the runner yet, I thought it would be fun to look back at some table settings where I have used plaid or checks in the past..

Black and White Checked Tablesetting

Black and white checks are perfect for fall.

The black and white is a great backdrop for neutral fall decor.  I bought this tablecloth a few years ago but I found one that looks identical.   You can see more details about this table setting here – Black and White Fall Table.

Christmas Table with Black and White

Not only is black and white great for for fall, but it works for Christmas too.

Just add some red and green to make it festive for the holidays.  We used this simple table setting for our Christmas breakfast one year.  You can see more details on this table setting here – Christmas Breakfast Table.

Red and White Fall Table Setting

Red and white checked place mats work for fall or winter.

I bought these in a Pennsylvania country store years ago and they have held up beautifully in the wash.  I couldn’t find any similar ones but  these place mats are similar in color and have that rustic country look.  You can see more details on my table setting here – Fall Table Setting with Apples.

Christmas Table with Red Checks

Small red checks provide a subtle background and can look so festive for Christmas.

I have also had these Ralph Lauren floral napkins for many years.  Even though they are have red and green in them, I don’t think they are technically Christmas napkins.  Unfortunately, it appears that the napkins are discontinued but I was able to find some other pretty Ralph Lauren Christmas napkins that would work just as well…if not better!

If you are looking for a similar tablecloth, this one is a close match – similar tablecloth.  I tend to stay smaller with red checks because something like this tablecloth could make your table look too much like an Italian restaurant…unless that is the look you are going for!  See more table details here – Christmas in the Country Tablescape.

Checks and Plaid for Christmas - one of my favorite table settings

Although the floral napkins are pretty, pairing the checked table cloth with red plaid napkins is just as festive!  The pine cone makes a great finishing touch too.  This may actually be my favorite combination.  I bought these plaid napkins at Pottery Barn a few years ago but I found a few similar ones – HERE and, HERE.  See more details on the table setting here – Christmas Table with Checks and Plaid.

What is your favorite way to use plaid?

Holiday Table Settings with Plaids and Checks

Joining these parties:
Pieced Pastimes – Saturday SparksShabbyfufu – Share it One More Time Pink When – Sunday  Showoff – That DIY Party Karen’s Up on the Hill – Something to Talk About Link Party Cedar Hill – The Scoop Sand and Sisal – Inspire Me Monday A Stroll Thru Life – Inspire Me Tuesday Cozy Little House – Tweak it Tuesday HomeStories A to Z – Tutorials and Tips The Dedicated House – Make it Pretty Monday Elizabeth and Co – Inspired Savvy Southern Style – Wow us Wednesdays DIY by Design – Fall into Fall PartyThe NY Melrose Family – Whimsy Wednesdays Dixie Delights – Share Your Style Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson – Share Your Cup Thursday A Delightsome Life – Home and Garden Thursday From My Front Porch to Yours – Treasure Hunt Thursday Imparting Grace – Grace at Home blue i style – The Creative Circle French Country Cottage – Feathered Nest Friday Rattlebridge Farm – Foodie Friday and Everything Else Craftberry Bush – Inspiration Gallery AKA Design – Weekend Retreat Link Party Chic on a Shoestring – Flaunt it Friday Postcards from the Ridge – Inspired by You link partyLess than Perfect Life of Bliss – Pretty Preppy Party – November

1. Simply LKJ
    November 7, 2015 / 3:42 pm

Love! I almost picked up a plaid runner at Hime Goods yesterday, but really need two that match as I am hosting a large party with extended table. Live plaid for the holidays.

2. marty (A Stroll Thru Life)
    November 7, 2015 / 3:43 pm

Oh wow, you really do have a fabulous collection of plaids. Love all of your pretty tablescapes.

3. Darlene Gemmell
    November 7, 2015 / 7:27 pm

All beautiful table settings but I especially LOVE the black and white!!Darlenewww.BundleMeBaby.etsy.com

4. Sheila Irwin
    November 7, 2015 / 7:50 pm

Shelley,LOVE all the plaid tablescapes! I am so into plaid this year for Christmas, especially tartan. I am inspired to do some plaid tablescaping as we get closer. Sheilawww.maisondecinq.blogspot.com

5. Sheila Irwin
    November 7, 2015 / 7:52 pm

6. Julie Nichols
    November 7, 2015 / 10:16 pm

I love your new plaid table runner from Home goods. All your tablescapes are beautiful. I really like the idea of using black and white checks for Christmas.XOJulie @ Love My Simple Home

7. Shabbyfufu
    November 8, 2015 / 12:47 am

I'm thinking that I might need some plaid in my life this winter…especially black and white check buffalo plaid. Thanks for stopping by the party today! Janet

8. xinex
    November 8, 2015 / 1:03 am

Love your plaide tablecloth collection. Funny but I just bought another plaid tablecloth from Homegoods today. I couldn't resist….Christine

9. Chloe Crabtree
    November 8, 2015 / 2:02 am

I do love plaid, particularly for the holidays. I just bought myself some plaid chargers I can't wait to use! I love your tables and would love it if you would stop by and share it over at Celebrate it Sunday! The party is open now!

10. Rattlebridge Farm
    November 8, 2015 / 6:10 am

Your collection is festive and beautiful! Love your tablesetting!

11. Rita C.
    November 8, 2015 / 1:38 pm

Shelley, I am mad for plaid, ever since those parochial school uniform days. I have some tartanware plaid that I like to use in holiday decor (tablescape runner, dishes), but I also like plaid for fall in blazing colors of oranges, greens, etc. Nice collection you have, and it caught my eye at One More Time.Rita C at Panoply

12. Artsy VaVa
    November 8, 2015 / 3:42 pm

Beautiful table settings!

13. fabulosa
    November 9, 2015 / 6:56 am

Loves plaid. Your tables are beautiful.

14. Mary K.- The Boondocks Blog
    November 9, 2015 / 6:34 pm

Now you just gave me an idea for a runner. I have a few plaid scarves that I never use. Maybe I can use them … hum. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the inspiration.

15. Vel Criste
    November 9, 2015 / 10:39 pm

I need some of your plaids for my Christmas decorating! Unlike you, I only started collecting mine and I'm hoping to make my theme plaid for this year! Love all of yours!

16. Jane@Bluebird1959
    November 10, 2015 / 2:37 pm

Nothing says fall or winter like plaid!! Love it. Your tablescapes are fabulous – I especially like the one with the rectangular apple baskets. Jane

17. Linda
    November 10, 2015 / 3:09 pm

Why oh why aren't these plaids around when I shop! I love plaid; some of mine are looking sad. Thanks for sharing. Off to Home Goods.

18. carol@The Red Painted Cottage
    November 10, 2015 / 5:46 pm

I love how popular plaids and checks have become this season. This would be an easy project for those of us who can sew.

19. My Kentucky Living
    November 11, 2015 / 2:09 am

I have a black and white large check tablecloth, and like you…Italian countryside china! like minds. You have some pretty table settings!

20. Scribbler
    November 11, 2015 / 3:42 am

Pretty tables — I like checks and plaids, too.

21. Shelia
    November 11, 2015 / 4:15 am

I just love the plaids and checks and what lovely tables they make! I need to start getting some more. Thanks for popping in to see me.be a sweetie,Shelia 😉

22. Sandra Lee
    November 11, 2015 / 11:40 am

Plaid seems to be all the rage right now and I am jumping on the bandwagon! Thank you for the inspiration.

23. Becca
    November 11, 2015 / 12:03 pm

I am envious of your fabulous collection of plaid! I'm truly loving it, especially this time of year! Look forward to seeing it all splashed around your house for the holidays!

24. BarberryLane Designs
    November 11, 2015 / 1:42 pm

Love your plaids, I still have a bunch of homespun textures I use now and then, but I need to make/buy some plaid, Thanks for the inspiration, Sandi

25. At Rivercrest Cottage
    November 12, 2015 / 2:38 am

Quite a collection of plaids. The black and white table looks great.

26. Angelina PeoniesandOrangeBlossoms
    November 12, 2015 / 4:40 am

ThisI love all of your plaids! I saw that runner at homegoods and Almost bought it but I put it back now I wish I hadn't!! It's so pretty!

27. Laura Lane
    November 13, 2015 / 3:44 am

I really like it!

28. The Vintage Chateau
    November 13, 2015 / 4:22 pm

I'm such a lover of plaid too! Thanks for all the inspiration. I'm a new follower!Karee

29. AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa
    November 14, 2015 / 2:15 am

Your plaids are gorgeous! Your tables are beautiful with them. I have always loved them but recently have been wearing them in tops. I have to get some for décor. So cozy.

30. Jann Olson
    November 15, 2015 / 3:51 am

Checks and plaids, what's not to love? 🙂 That stack is so amazing! Love each and every one. Thanks for sharing with SYC.hugs,Jann

31. Kimm Boes
    November 16, 2015 / 12:25 am

I am loving plaid this year for Christmas, loved seeing all of your tablescape ideas! Thanks for linking up to our first Inspired By You link party! We hope to see you back every Sunday!

32. Postcards from the Ridge
    November 17, 2015 / 12:46 am

Ooh! You're speaking my language with all that plaid! I love it all! Thanks so much for linking up to our inaugural "Inspired by You" link party.

33. bj
    November 20, 2015 / 2:56 pm

I love love love your plaid collection…I've done several posts on my plaids, too…Oh, and black and white check lives at my house. :)OOO, and did you know cherry turnovers tastes better on little PLAID plates..?? Come see.

34. Tara Lehman
    November 20, 2015 / 4:24 pm

Well, that's that, I need to get more plaid:). Tables look beautiful! My favorite is the black and white check one!

35. Pepper Medley
    November 20, 2015 / 8:48 pm

Oh Sweetie, I LOVE all of your plaids! So lively and perfect for Thanksgiving fun table setting! Thank you for sharing with us!

36. Magnolia Lane
    November 26, 2015 / 1:35 pm

So pretty! I am hooked on plaids 🙂 Thanks for sharing! Happy Thanksgiving!