The Foyer and Stairs

About four years ago, I started thinking about changing my foyer -see HERE.

Well…now that we are ripping out the tile and installing hardwood floors, the staircase is has now been added to the plans!  Hooray!

The oak has faded and the runner has seen better days (with kids and a dog!)

So the plan is to re-stain to match the new floor, change the spindles to white and replace the carpet runner.  The walls are currently Benjamin Moore Bone White but I might change the color.  Either way, the walls definitely need a new coat of paint.  Don’t tell my husband though.  I haven’t broken that news to him yet.  He is currently sweating in front of a calculator, figuring out how much my mid-life-crisis-house-remodel is going to cost him!

Here are some samples of the look I love:

source – Decor Pad

If I didn’t have a dog, the staircase above would be perfect!  But we definitely need that runner!

This runner and foyer are gorgeous!…

Contemporary Entry

AMW Design Studio via Houzz

The runner and area rug above are from Coastline Collection of Stanton Carpet and I love the way they look with the hardwood floors!  I also love the idea of a patterned stair runner to hide the possible doggie footprints!

Traditional Staircase by Oshawa Interior Designers & Decorators Chris Kauffman

Although a textured carpet like the one above might be the way to go.

I do love sisal though…

Traditional Staircase by New York General Contractors Benco Construction

I love the look of sisal but I think I need to go a bit softer for our precious little feet (paws included!)

I am going to start bringing home samples to decide but it’s hard when the new floors aren’t in yet.  Yeah, I am a bit overwhelmed with this remodel to say the least.   I think I need a vacation…Oh wait, we can’t afford one now…

What kind of stair runners do you like?

1. Simply LKJ
    May 9, 2015 / 2:41 pm

Our front stairs have hardwood edges, so we have always had some type of carpet on them. Originally traditional plush pile, a big NO! We then had a tight weave berber with a pattern, and it held up quite well even though it was a bit light colored. We now have a dark chocolate that has a tone on tone pattern in a tight weave and LOVE it. If you are more worried about clean up with the pup and kids, look for something made of 100% olefin…that stuff can even be bleached in most circumstances. Our back staircase is painted and has held up well with no runner. Our Cairn doesn't seem to have any troubles with it either.

2. Laurel Stephens
    May 9, 2015 / 2:43 pm

Epidural on its way! Deep breathing until it arrives! 🙂 I love all your inspiration photos, and I like the first patterned runner best. I agree sisal is lovely, but a bit rough on bare paws and feet. I love everything about that patterned carpet photo, including the floors and walls. In fact, I'm on my way to your link to see their other carpets for our guest bedroom and loft. So pretty! Now I can't wait to hear what paint color you choose! It's so fun to follow your remodel, Shelley.

3. therelishedroost
    May 9, 2015 / 10:00 pm

I like a two tone cut pile wtth a great border like a greek key , sisal it great too fi you dont have pets. A nice tight wool sisal is a great alternative! The stairs will look great!

4. Darlene Gemmell
    May 10, 2015 / 2:09 pm

Oh this is going to be such a great looking entry way when it's complete!!! I really like the 1st patterned stair runner. I had to giggle about your hubby sweating while adding up all the costs, HaHa :)Darlenewww.BundleMeBaby.etsy.com

5. Lisa @ Shine Your Light
    May 12, 2015 / 11:47 am

Your inspiration photos are all gorgeous Shelley and I think this part of the remodel project is going to make a huge impact on your home! I love my seagrass runner on our stairs, but our dog never went upstairs, so I can't attest to how it would hold up to doggy claws. It's absolutely fantastic for all the traffic from my busy family though – no wear and tear at all. I'm so excited to see all your changes come together!!!!

6. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style
    May 12, 2015 / 1:33 pm

Love the inspiration photos. I'm sure you will find the perfect combo.

7. Stacey
    May 12, 2015 / 5:00 pm

That's going to be gorgeous!

8. Leslie Harris
    May 13, 2015 / 5:39 pm

We had a lush %100 wool runner–that was perfect on our last staircase. We had so many parties and kids over the years and it never showed any wear. I know what you mean about stairs and doggies though. I'm thinking about sisal this time around but I'm worried about slipping, mostly for our dog (hahaha…the things we dog lovers go through ) I can't wait to see what you choose.

9. Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart)
    May 30, 2015 / 1:28 pm

How exciting. I'm enjoying the process of following along with your remodel. The new staircase is going to be gorgeous. fondly ~lynne~