Tip for Saving Money on Magazine Subscriptions

Are you paying too much for your magazine subscriptions?

Well, you might be if your magazines are up for renewal and you previously chose the “Automatic Renewal” option.  This happened to me so I thought I would pass this tip on to you.

The other day I received one of those little courtesy postcards in the mail informing me that one of my favorite magazines was scheduled for “Automatic Renewal” in the next couple of months.  I didn’t think anything of it and I almost tossed the card in the trash until I looked at the rate I was being charged:

Term:  1 year
Special Rate $27.97

This “special rate” didn’t seem like any kind of “special” deal to me, especially since I have been subscribing to this magazine for many years.  So just for fun, I decided to check their website to verify their subscription rate.

Well, well, well…what a surprise.  The current subscription rate is $25.00 for 2 years or $15.00 for 1 year.  And I was about to be automatically charged $27.97 for 1 year!

So, needless to say, I called the customer service number and explained my situation.  Luckily, the representative was very accommodating and changed my renewal rate to the current subscription rate quoted on their website.

Now I am paying $25.00 for 2 years instead of $27.97 for 1 year!

So next time you receive one of those “Automatic Subscription” notices in the mail, be sure to check the current price to make sure you are getting the best deal.  It doesn’t hurt to ask for the lower price!

Do you have any quick money saving tips you would like to share?

1. Vel Criste
    September 4, 2014 / 1:34 am

I do the same thing too! since new subscribers get a better deal, I always call customer service and they always give me the cheaper of the 2 offers!

2. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style
    September 4, 2014 / 1:39 am

We get so many renewals for my subscriptions that we make sure we check them and didn't just pay it already. I need to make sure we aren't getting over charged, too.

3. pam {simple details}
    September 4, 2014 / 2:40 am

Great tip, I have one up for renewal I'm going to check! Thanks, Shelley!

4. Sherry @ Thrift My House
    September 4, 2014 / 11:28 am

Thank you so much for this! In all the busyness … stuff like that falls through the cracks. I'll be checking! Happy Thursday!

5. Laurel Stephens
    September 4, 2014 / 3:30 pm

This is a great tip, Shelley. I always opt out of automatic renewals of everything for just this reason. It takes more time to do it myself, but I always save money. Nice of you to pass this on!

6. Jeanette
    September 4, 2014 / 6:48 pm

That's a great tip! I try to check as well before I renew.

7. Bmore Bungalow
    September 5, 2014 / 1:09 am

Thanks, very useful tip!

8. Carol
    September 5, 2014 / 2:03 pm

I always check the mail that comes from different magazines to make sure they are not going to automatically renew, but I had not thought of also checking the rate. Thanks for sharing, Shelley.

9. Jane Bernard
    September 5, 2014 / 3:46 pm

Great money saving tips! Thanks for sharing I hate spending a lot of money for magazines!

10. Kathy A Delightsome Life
    September 10, 2014 / 7:03 pm

You do have to be careful! Great post! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,Kathy

11. Patti @ Pandoras Box
    September 10, 2014 / 9:20 pm

I stopped many of my subscriptions due to this…I even canceled on least year and still receive it…I checked back in my credit card payments and found out that they never canceled and continued to charge me – UGggh…live and learn!