Simple and Casual Patriotic Table Setting

Don’t you love when you find something that’s cute and inexpensive?

Just the other day, I found these adorable melamine star plates at Michael’s and they were only 64 cents each!  You can’t get much cheaper than that!

Simple and Casual Patriotic Table Setting:

Simple and Casual Patriotic Table Setting

So in the spirit of the 4th of July, I came up with a simple table setting.  And when I say simple, I mean – no silverware.

As you can see, my dining room table was still extended from our last family gathering so the whole tablescape looks a bit stretched out.

Sure, I could have used the kitchen table but it was being occupied by two kids and a bunch of paint projects.  With this sweltering heat, we are staying indoors as much as possible!

When decorating for the 4th, it helps to have a red dining room!  Basically, I enjoy the red for three holidays…Christmas, Valentine’s Day and now the 4th of July.  Although I love the red, I am still thinking of painting the room a lighter color.  (Update – click here to see what color I ended up painting the room!)

To add a little more red for the 4th, I filled my Pier One star basket with some apples.  Why buy extra accessories when you can just decorate with some fruit?

For the napkins, I used blue checked dishtowels.  Who doesn’t love blue checks?

Since I only had four of the blue, I added red striped ones on the ends of the table.  Definitely keeping things simple and casual.

Now, if we were actually eating in the dining room for the 4th, we would be all set!  Most likely we will be at the beach or a picnic somewhere.

Are you entertaining for the 4th?

I would love for you follow along so you don’t miss a post!

Pin this

Simple and Casual Patriotic Table Decorating - A Patriotic Table Setting using a few simple red, white and blue pieces

1. Lisa at Shine Your Light
    July 2, 2012 / 1:05 pm

Your dining room is perfect for a 4th of July celebration! Love your cute star plates and the simple but pulled together look. Hope you are enjoying the summer so far, Shelley!

2. Sand and Shells
    July 2, 2012 / 8:23 pm

Very nice red, white & blue table setting, Shelley! Love the star plates and the basket, great finds! Happy 4th of July!!!Jutta

3. Heather
    July 2, 2012 / 10:09 pm

How cute those plates are! You know, I didn't decorate this year…I don't know how, but it just slipped my mind! Anyway, we will be going to my mom's for 4th of July. After seeing all these cute decorations on blogs, I may have to decorate anyway and just leave it all up for the summer! lol!

4. Megan {Honey We're Home}
    July 2, 2012 / 10:47 pm

Those plates are awesome- and a steal! And you're right about the red walls- they are perfect for those holidays:) Thanks for linking up!

5. Laurel Stephens
    July 3, 2012 / 1:53 pm

I love your new star shaped plates and your red dining room. Happy 4th of July!

6. Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest
    July 3, 2012 / 7:24 pm

Melting, the grass is dead the garden is dying it is over 100 degrees and no end in sight.Love your simple but wonderful holiday tablescape.GREAT treasures, those melamine plates, well done!

7. marty (A Stroll Thru Life)
    July 4, 2012 / 3:42 pm

Perfect, I love the star plates and the striped napkins. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

8. Beverly Roderick
    June 5, 2016 / 3:31 pm

I love your patriotic tablescape. Those star plates are great. Thanks so much for linking up at Celebrate the USA Party. Pinning to the party board.